Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    you can't ??
    oh crap, I may have tossed one a couple months ago, because the seal in it was toasted.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    Yeah, itís a shame you canít get those steel retainers anymore.
    Gene, are you saying all vendors that supplied this retainer have obsoleted it? I think I bought my retainers from D&D Performance in Michigan and I know they are still around. There were a couple other shops offering them too, but I can't remember them.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '84 9W
    I looked at Napa's website. They list two cable lengths. 60.75" and 42.18". That's an 18" difference. I can't believe there are two different cables made that are that much different in length.

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    Gene, are you saying all vendors that supplied this retainer have obsoleted it? I think I bought my retainers from D&D Performance in Michigan and I know they are still around. There were a couple other shops offering them too, but I can't remember them.
    Ted, It's been a long time since I've looked, but IIRC, the last time I looked (from an older query on this forum) I could not find that steel retainer. I believe I also got the steel retainer for our 86 from D&D a few decades ago. =8-0 I had a quick look on D&D's web site, and am finding no steel retainers for the T5. I guess a call to D&D would be the next step to verify.

But I'm not 100% certain, but believe the last time I looked, I came up empty-handed.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I looked at Napa's website. They list two cable lengths. 60.75" and 42.18". That's an 18" difference. I can't believe there are two different cables made that are that much different in length.
    My guess is that the V8/V6 cars had a different length cable as compared to the 4cyl cars due to exhaust clearance routing, since we use the same clutch pedal/quadrant setup. Unfortunately I couldn't even phathom a guess on which one is the 'correct' length. Your best bet is to try and get a rough estimate off your current cable, it should indicate one length or the other even if you are off by a few inches.

Gene, you are correct that D&D doesn't list the steel retainer on their website, so a call is necessary to see if they still offer it or if anyone still does.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

to ted's point on the cable, if you add the length of the dog-bone, and associated hardware, you're adding about 12-15 inches would be my guess, so it does seem realistic
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: '84 9W
    The dog bone cable is only about 2 inches long though. Thats still 16 inches left.

there's hardware around the dog-bone... the dog-bone don't just snap on to the end of the cable...
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Ok, did some quick online research. The 42" (short) cable is noted as being for a 4-speed applications and the 60" (long) cable is noted for 5-speed applications on various parts websites. Looking at the available pictures the 60" cable looks more like the OEM one. I would go with the 'long' cable.

Below are some screen shots I took off of Pioneer's website for reference. Looks like the 4-cyl cable is a spit longer than the 5.0L version, interesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch Cable.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	46247 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch Cable_pic.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	46248
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4