Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SVO's: '84 9W

Adjustable clutch qudrant

So after the clutch quadrant let go on me in line to get into the show at Mustang Week in my Saleen, it got me to thinking. I still have the original plastic one in my svo too. And since I drive the car a lot now I'm worried about that one breaking too.
    So is there a 4cyl kit available or do I have to get a setup for a V8? Also does it eliminate the dog bone cable or not?

SVO's: 86 1C
    I haven't looked into the kits much, but I believe there isn't a 'special' kit for the SVO or 4cyl in general, just a general kit for the Fox platform. I had to replace my quadrant back in the early 90's, so I am sure I am living on somewhat borrowed time, but it was my aluminum bearing retainer snout that killed that quadrant, TO bearing and ~6 dogbone cables before I fixed it. So far...knocking on wood...the steel snout is still working smoothly. The dogbone cable stays in place with the kits out there, they only replace the quadrant and main cable. Hopefully someone else on here can speak from direct experience.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    yes, I have an SVO with a 3-hook 'quadrant' and a firewall adjuster. works just fine.
    hardest part of the swap is getting that old quadrant out, it's a beast, and you have to sit on your head to work on it.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    yes, I have an SVO with a 3-hook 'quadrant' and a firewall adjuster. works just fine.
    hardest part of the swap is getting that old quadrant out, it's a beast, and you have to sit on your head to work on it.
    And the adjusting on the new one. "It can't take THAT much adjustment, can it?" Yes, it can.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

The thing that has me confused is when I look at clutch cables on parts websites they have different lengths listed. I don't know if there's a difference between V8 and 4cyl cable lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    The thing that has me confused is when I look at clutch cables on parts websites they have different lengths listed. I don't know if there's a difference between V8 and 4cyl cable lengths.
    Interesting, for some reason I figured all T5 configurations would have used the same length cable, never thought about it. One tip for pulling the old quadrant out is to remove the driver's seat, so you can lay on your back to work under the dash...much easier than sitting on your head!!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    One tip for pulling the old quadrant out is to remove the driver's seat, so you can lay on your back to work under the dash...much easier than sitting on your head!!
    then get skewered in the back by the studs the seats mount on
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1E
    That's why I have a 4" thick piece of foam rubber for such work. The 4 cylinder cables are shorter because of the dog bone cable.
    Bruce

then get skewered in the back by the studs the seats mount on
    I used a folded over shop towel to pad the studs and prevent the skewering, as trying to lay on your side between the studs isn't a great option...
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

That dog bone cable is a real dog of a problem.

it's really not.
    if it wasn't there, you'd break the full cable...

if the dog-bone breaks, 90% of the time, there is another problem that needs to be fixed.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

it's really not.
    if it wasn't there, you'd break the full cable...

if the dog-bone breaks, 90% of the time, there is another problem that needs to be fixed.
    Such as.....?

such as a groove in the bearing retainer. or even a bad ground.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

I went through at least 6 dog-bone cables and a new quadrant before I figured out the 'real' problem with my SVO, which was a worn/grooved snout tube on the front bearing retainer. Soon after that happened with my SVO, I popped my first dog-bone cable on my 80 Mustang with a transplanted SVO T5 First thing I did was inspect the snout and sure enough, it too was shot and replaced right away. The steel snout bearing retainer has been in my SVO since ~68K miles and I am turning 120K this summer, so far the clutch pedal movement is buttery smooth and I have not had any further issues with the replacement quadrant nor the dog-bone cable. YMMV.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    I went through at least 6 dog-bone cables and a new quadrant before I figured out the 'real' problem with my SVO, which was a worn/grooved snout tube on the front bearing retainer. Soon after that happened with my SVO, I popped my first dog-bone cable on my 80 Mustang with a transplanted SVO T5 First thing I did was inspect the snout and sure enough, it too was shot and replaced right away. The steel snout bearing retainer has been in my SVO since ~68K miles and I am turning 120K this summer, so far the clutch pedal movement is buttery smooth and I have not had any further issues with the replacement quadrant nor the dog-bone cable. YMMV.
    Yeah, itís a shame you canít get those steel retainers anymore.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas