Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    you can't ??
    oh crap, I may have tossed one a couple months ago, because the seal in it was toasted.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    Yeah, itís a shame you canít get those steel retainers anymore.
    Gene, are you saying all vendors that supplied this retainer have obsoleted it? I think I bought my retainers from D&D Performance in Michigan and I know they are still around. There were a couple other shops offering them too, but I can't remember them.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '84 9W
    I looked at Napa's website. They list two cable lengths. 60.75" and 42.18". That's an 18" difference. I can't believe there are two different cables made that are that much different in length.

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    Gene, are you saying all vendors that supplied this retainer have obsoleted it? I think I bought my retainers from D&D Performance in Michigan and I know they are still around. There were a couple other shops offering them too, but I can't remember them.
    Ted, It's been a long time since I've looked, but IIRC, the last time I looked (from an older query on this forum) I could not find that steel retainer. I believe I also got the steel retainer for our 86 from D&D a few decades ago. =8-0 I had a quick look on D&D's web site, and am finding no steel retainers for the T5. I guess a call to D&D would be the next step to verify.

But I'm not 100% certain, but believe the last time I looked, I came up empty-handed.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I looked at Napa's website. They list two cable lengths. 60.75" and 42.18". That's an 18" difference. I can't believe there are two different cables made that are that much different in length.
    My guess is that the V8/V6 cars had a different length cable as compared to the 4cyl cars due to exhaust clearance routing, since we use the same clutch pedal/quadrant setup. Unfortunately I couldn't even phathom a guess on which one is the 'correct' length. Your best bet is to try and get a rough estimate off your current cable, it should indicate one length or the other even if you are off by a few inches.

Gene, you are correct that D&D doesn't list the steel retainer on their website, so a call is necessary to see if they still offer it or if anyone still does.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

to ted's point on the cable, if you add the length of the dog-bone, and associated hardware, you're adding about 12-15 inches would be my guess, so it does seem realistic
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: '84 9W
    The dog bone cable is only about 2 inches long though. Thats still 16 inches left.

there's hardware around the dog-bone... the dog-bone don't just snap on to the end of the cable...
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    Ok, did some quick online research. The 42" (short) cable is noted as being for a 4-speed applications and the 60" (long) cable is noted for 5-speed applications on various parts websites. Looking at the available pictures the 60" cable looks more like the OEM one. I would go with the 'long' cable.

Below are some screen shots I took off of Pioneer's website for reference. Looks like the 4-cyl cable is a spit longer than the 5.0L version, interesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch Cable.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	46247 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch Cable_pic.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	46248
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

14 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1985 1/2 9L
    I just replaced my OEM quadrant with a Steeda double-hook and firewall adjuster. My OEM quadrant and cable were working OK, but ya'll scared me. I replaced the OEM clutch cable with the Pioneer CA-315 that Ted shows in his post. The OEM cable was operating fine and looks good where you can see the cable itself. Car has 90K miles on it. The Pioneer cable fit perfectly, and the adjuster is threaded in almost all the way, maybe two turns out from the collapsed state. I did not have to modify the cable in any way, the ball at the end fit the clevis at the bellhousing properly. Yes, my back still hurts and my hand is scraped up from monkeying around under the dash.

However, I am disappointed with the feel of the resulting setup. The clutch is much harder to press now. The engagement point is nearly identical to the OEM, but it is way harder to press the pedal, and it isn't as smooth as the OEM setup through the range of motion. I can only attribute it to the cable, since the radius of the Steeda quadrant is the same as the OEM so I don't see where there is any change in leverage or the mechanics of the operation of the pedal.

Anyone else have similar experience with the Pioneer cable?