6 PSI Boost

Won't Smog; Running Rich

I am looking for suggestions to my problem as my car will not pass smog in California. My '86 is running rich. My car is at the shop. It has a new catalytic converter and a new oxygen sensor. It was running fine last time we got it smogged 2 years ago. Been in the garage. Only put 100 miles on it during that time. Would appreciate any suggestions from club members.

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    The obvious things are:
    Check computer codes !!!
    plugs and plug wires,
    base timing (Ignition)
    CAM timing .
    TPS setting correctly

other things to check
    fuel pressure--
    make sure the regulator is working properly,
    make sure the vac hose has no leaks.
    in some cases the regulator will actually dump fuel into the VAC line, causing it to run VERY rich

when you smog it, make sure the car engine is warm...
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    What Eric suggested, but also double check your VAM. Remove and clean to insure proper operation. If the VAM door is stuck open, the the computer will add fuel as it think you have put your foot on the gas. I had this happen to a Datsun 280Z I use to have. It was blowing black smoke out of the tail pipe like the chike was stuck. I took it to the dealer and they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg, so I took it home to work on it myself. I tapped the VAM with a screwdriver handle and viola back to normal. The VAM door was stuck open. Another thing to do is remove the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator to see if gas is being sucked into the intake.
    Last edited by GAboySVO; 09-20-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: '86 2R
    A quick test; pull the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator (you will do this when you do the fuel pressure test anyway) and check that no fuel comes out. I'd even smell to make sure you don't smell any fuel. If raw fuel comes out, you have a torn diaphragm. I've had that happen TWICE on a different car.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

6 PSI Boost
    First of all let me thank everyone for getting back to me so far we have ran all the Baseline test timing fuel it all checks out okay finally got around to checking the computer it looks like that is the problem with the code going to do more checking will let you guys know thanks once again.

6 PSI Boost
    I Need to get a new ECU where can I get one?

autozone, advance, ebay, ...
    I'd be extremely surprised if it's actually the ECU tho.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    Finding refurbished/new ECU's is turning out to be a hard task these days, it seems the EEC-IV market has shrunk enough that some places no longer carry them. I do know that Mike is selling a couple EEC's over in the for sale section, if one of them may help you.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    I am still looking ECU unit I sent min out to be refreshed to Module Expert in FL.They did a diagnostics and said the unit is beyond Repair the main processor is dead so I Need to replace mine so I am looking need help?

car wouldn't run if the main processor is dead, there's nothing to read tables.

You still have not told us what ECU you have , PE, TE, PJ, LA3, ZBA -- etc.

I have 2 LA3's laying here... Pretty decent upgrade for any SVO,. except arguably a PE, which are hard to find and expensive when you do.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

He replied (in email, to the 'do not reply email', luckily I looked at them yesterday)

He needs a PE.

so -- your choices are:

do a bit of re-pinning, (process is here, in the FAQ section) and run a LA3, -- I'll sell you one for $75, There's one listed on turboford for $100
    OR
    Wait til you can find a PE, Price-tag 300-400

on the good side, LA3 computer has a faster processor, and more table space (memory) which leads to better idle.

on the down side, The PE has a slightly more aggressive timing map. which means it will perform just a tad better.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster