Thread: Front Inner Fender

16 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 1C

Front Inner Fender

I removed the plastic inner fenders to clean them up, they have undercoating all over them. I noticed on the drivers side there is a felt divider that divides the inside if the fender from the front of the door area but on the passenger side there is nothing. Does anyone know if there should be one on the passenger side? And what are they called? I looked NPD's site but I couldn't find anything. Thanks.
    Kevin Boyd

I am not sure the name other than a sound deadening panel, but they should be on both sides from what I remember seeing on my car at one point. Over time they were falling apart and I removed them when I had the car repainted. They were another 'trick' Ford used in trying to bring the Mustang down to the 3-series sound levels and add some 'refinement' to the car by knocking down tire/road noise. Don't forget our SVO's were directly aimed at competing against the Euro vehicles back in the day. There is a lot of extra sound deadening material in our SVO's as compared to the 5.0's of the day and especially compared to my former '80 Mustang.

Funny thing is, my Mini has similar panels in the front fenders to isolate noise from the tires into the doors...go figure.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

16 PSI Boost
    Ted thanks for the info. I knew the SVO was aimed at the Euro vehicles but didn't realized they added extra sound deadening. I can't find the panels for sale anywhere so I figured they must have been unique to the SVO. The drivers side panel is in perfect shape but the passenger side must have fallen apart.

The first new car I bought was an 86 SVO, think I paid about 15K for it (I got either $500 or $1000 back due to the crappy paint job). I was like man this think is soo smooth. Fast forward 30 plus years and I'm like man this thing is noisy.
    Kevin Boyd