Thread: ugh --svo rant time

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E

ugh --svo rant time

Those that came to the reunion know I didn't bring a car this year.

I got enough time to get the computer issues worked out (after fixing the mechanical ones) -- got the car running decent.

I take it out for a 5-mile trip, it does fine. boosts good, A/F is pretty fat, but that's what tuning is for....
    swing home to pick up the uh-oh just in case bag of tools, and as I leave the house, I KNOW something is wrong. I've got a brake piston locked up somewhere..

so pull it back in the drive, stick the jack under it.
    backs seem ok,
    stick the jack under the front, and both damn calipers... one locked pretty tight, the other dragging pretty hard... GRRRRR

so I'll let it sit for an hour to cool off, flush the fluid through the pistons, see if that clears it up, if not, guess I may be off to buy a couple calipers. altho these calipers already have SS pistons in them!!!!

sometimes I think this car hates me!
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    Yep I have to wonder about the design of the calipers. I've also had this problem with my 92 Town Car so it's not like it's been driven hard. Very frustrating indeed.

Both front calipers were nice and free after cooling off. I pushed about 2 quarts of fresh fluid through (1 quart per side), and the slightly brown fluid from the master-cylinder is now nice and clear. HOPEFULLY that took care of the issue. I still should flush the backs as well. The fluid in the master-cylinder was just a bit brown tinged, while what came out of the calipers was quite a bit darker.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Part 2 -- while flushing the calipers, I noticed a fair amount of play in the tie-rods on the passenger side. Can someone explain to me how a car with ~hardly 1000 miles in 2 years since full front-end replacement (ball joints, inners, outters & struts), has a inner tie-rod end with nearly a 1/4 inch of play ? The boots were good, outters, and ball joints still feel good, how does that happen!!! Anyway, Suggestions on the best inner tie-rods I guess is in order, anyone have a thought ?
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Can't offer much. I'm 99.9% sure all of the components are metal to metal with no rubber bushings that could have expired. I've never cut open a rack so that is the 0.01% unsureness I have.

to continue the rant (and a PSA) -- If you buy good quality parts (like MOOG) replacement inner tie-rods, make sure the locking pin FITS in the holes of the nut.

It was not a great deal of fun to put on, then take back off so I could drill out the holes to the proper size. (1/8 inch BTW)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tie-rod-holes.png  
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Good to know. Thanks.