SVO's: '86 9LCP

Consensus on replacement radiator?

Hey guys! Original radiator in my 9L is looking shaggy. Not leaking yet (!) but I know it's on borrowed time. I have to do a heater core anyway, so gonna replace the radiator at the same time. What's the consensus on the best source for a replacement nowadays? Upgraded/larger is fine but I'd like a drop in/no modification. I believe there was a guy making really nice replacements some years back, but I don't recall his information or if he's still doing it.

Thank you!
    1986 Oxford White (9L) Comp-Prep SVO

SVO's: 86 1C
    If you are not pushing any real high horsepower or in a hot climate (i.e.- Pittsburgh doesn't qualify ) then a stock style replacement should be fine. If you are looking for Concours type items, then OEM will be your best bet and likely pricey.

I purchased my replacement from a local radiator shop that dealt with rebuilt units and installed myself, only had to return the original for the core charge. My rebuilt unit was originally a Ford unit, which I can tell by the oval logo in the radiator's top cross member with the letters marked out. I replaced it somewhere in the early to mid-90's and it is still working great today, no issues driving or at HPDE track days.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    A side note: The original SVO radiators have no provisions for the automatic transmission cooler in the driver side tank. There should be two flat impressions from when the tank is pressed out where the fittings would normally be installed.

That said some radiators may have brass plugs in the fittings which would be painted black when the radiator was first built. Those are normally a service replacement radiator which allows use in both manual and automatic transmission cars.

SVO's: 86 1C
    Good note Ken, my rebuilt unit is an 'automatic ready' unit with the plugs and insert in the end tank for said tranny cooling.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    I guess I should have also said that it isn't a "SVO Special" radiator. Just a standard radiator for those Mustangs that originally came with a manual transmission.

SVO's: 86 1C X2
    I bought a replacement radiator for my 87 TC a couple of years ago (2015) at a place up past Century 3 Mall, but, I don't recall the name of it. I wanted the stock replacement and not the part plastic/aluminum or all aluminum. I'll look for the name and get back to you.

SVO's: '86 2R
    This:

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthread.php?27155-SVPU-aluminum-radiator

Just call Paul. It is a drop-in, it looks nice, and I really like the cap. If you don't have to have an OEM for some show class, this is the one!
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C X2
    Here it is:

Location Search 1-800-RADIATOR OF PITTSBURGH
    506 MCNEILLY ROAD
    PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA 15226
    Phone: (412) 343-3665
    Alt. Phone: (800) 248-8720
    Fax: (866) 814-9729

SVO's: '86 9LCP
    Thanks for all the info, everyone. Really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 86-TC/SVO View Post
    I bought a replacement radiator for my 87 TC a couple of years ago (2015) at a place up past Century 3 Mall, but, I don't recall the name of it. I wanted the stock replacement and not the part plastic/aluminum or all aluminum. I'll look for the name and get back to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86-TC/SVO View Post
    Here it is:

Location Search 1-800-RADIATOR OF PITTSBURGH
    506 MCNEILLY ROAD
    PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA 15226
    Phone: (412) 343-3665
    Alt. Phone: (800) 248-8720
    Fax: (866) 814-9729
    Howdy, neighbor! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    This:

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthread.php?27155-SVPU-aluminum-radiator

Just call Paul. It is a drop-in, it looks nice, and I really like the cap. If you don't have to have an OEM for some show class, this is the one!
    Paul is the guy I was thinking about! I could not recall his info. Thanks for this!
    1986 Oxford White (9L) Comp-Prep SVO