Thread: EGR disconnect

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    14 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1985 1/2 9L

EGR disconnect

On my 85.5 there are two sensor/controller/electrical gizmos mounted to the rear of the passenger side shock tower. I believe that one is the EGR controller and the other has something to do with an overboost warning circuit. Both have vacuum lines and electrical connections. My FoMoCo shop manuals are for the 85, not the 85.5 so I cannot verify these items for sure as apparently they are located differently in the 85, but they look like the drawings in the manual.

I want to do the Stinger PVC removal/crankcase vent modification and he has the catch tank located where these electrical/vacuum gizmos are currently located. I see no need for EGR on my car, I do not need to smog test and the EGR hardware and pipe is begging to be removed. I also don't need to have a buzzer tell me about overboost.

Question is, can these two items be removed and their vacuum lines blocked without causing the stock PE ECM to freak out? Can I leave the EGR hardware in place for the time being and just not supply the control vacuum to it and not have it cause problems?

Thanks

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
    On my 85.5 there are two sensor/controller/electrical gizmos mounted to the rear of the passenger side shock tower. I believe that one is the EGR controller and the other has something to do with an overboost warning circuit. Both have vacuum lines and electrical connections. My FoMoCo shop manuals are for the 85, not the 85.5 so I cannot verify these items for sure as apparently they are located differently in the 85, but they look like the drawings in the manual.

I want to do the Stinger PVC removal/crankcase vent modification and he has the catch tank located where these electrical/vacuum gizmos are currently located. I see no need for EGR on my car, I do not need to smog test and the EGR hardware and pipe is begging to be removed. I also don't need to have a buzzer tell me about overboost.

Question is, can these two items be removed and their vacuum lines blocked without causing the stock PE ECM to freak out? Can I leave the EGR hardware in place for the time being and just not supply the control vacuum to it and not have it cause problems?

Thanks
    Short answer: YES, you can remove those 2 valves and cap the lines. Mine's been gone for years.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

12 PSI Boost
    @GAboySVO Good to know! I have a question about the turbo in the 85.5? Is it identical to the other year models and if so, can it move 600cu.ft/minute, keep Air LBM ~45lbs/min. and Fuel LBM ~3.3lbs/min.? Which is the closest spec late model Garrett, T3-40, T3-45 or T3-50?

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    I know the 84 turbo had an 0.63 A/R turbine housing and the later models had an 0.48 A/R turbine housing. I'm not certain exactly when that changed. My 86 has the 0.48 turbine housing. I can't answer the rest of your questions, but if you do a search, you should be able to find the compressor map that will have the info you are looking for.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 86 1C
    The change in the turbo A/R happened between the 85 & 85.5 models. The 84/85's shared the 0.63, while the 85.5/86's shared the 0.48 housing for faster spool and less 'light switch' boost ramp. Unfortunately, I never got around to figuring out what my 86's turbo 'trim' was actually, but someone may have posted it up here somewhere. If not, a quick call to Charlie at Evergreen would likely net you the answer you are looking for.

For reference, I am running a Turbonetics T3/T4 hybrid with a 46-trim compressor and a stage 2 turbine and unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember what A/R it is, but it does spool similar to the stock unit with more boost/CFM capability.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4