4 PSI Boost

Blower motor heating/ac not working

Hey guys I have a 1985 Mustang SVO 66k and the blower motor is not working on any speed and the AC is also not working.

What should I check first? Also I'm not that familiar with the locations on where the blower motor is located other than under the dash? Fuse locations and resistor? thanks for the help

SVO's: 86 1C
    Welcome to the forums, hopefully we can help guide you to a solution.

I would certainly start with the fuse, based on your description. It is a 30A fuse on the 'short' side of the fuse box near the turn signal relay, shows as fuse #9 in my Haynes manual.

If your resistor block craps out, you usually only get off and high fan speeds and hence to check the fuse first. I can copy out the testing procedure for testing the fan resistor if you fuse is not blown, so let me know. Hopefully your blower motor isn't shot, as that is quite a project to pull the entire heater box out to get to it.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

4 PSI Boost
    Thanks for the input, I checked the fuse and the fuse was good. Does anyone have a schematic for the heater/ac switches? I have attached a couple of pictures of the connectors was wondering if they are supposed to have voltage? the orange and black wires have no voltage (blk connector also checked the other end of plug with orange & blue/green no voltage. The the tan connector (goes to resistor)also has no power.
    I thought I have read somewhere that maybe the ignition switch maybe bad? Don't know how the ignition switch gets "tied" into the fan?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7339.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	46417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7340.jpg 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	46418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7341.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	46419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7346.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	46420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7346.jpg 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	46420

I will scan in some schematics tonight to get you going there.

It looks like the first two pics are of the fan motor resistor pack connector and the last 3 look like maybe the motor plug. Your one orange wire in the 3rd pic looks like the insulation is a little bumpy, which is usually an indication of heat (i.e.- high current). Could be a sign of a smoked motor that internally shorted out, but some more investigation will lead you to the root cause.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    it's typically the motor or the switch. Sorry I'm not much help.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Here are the EVTM pages that should give you some help diagnosing the root cause of your issue. Hope this helps.

Name:	Manual - EVTM_AC-Heater_pg76.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	46421 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manual - EVTM_AC-Heater_pg77.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	46422 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manual - EVTM_AC-Heater_pg78.jpg 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	46423
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Mouse nest?? I had an issue with one of my fox Mustangs that was always stored in the winter. Ended up getting a nest in the blower motor cage.

That car also had a bad resistor pack. Cleaned out the nest, replaced the resistor pack and it worked as good as new.

Good luck!
    86 SVO 1C

4 PSI Boost
    I checked the fuses and they were good, after further investigation the fuse has no 12v voltage? Fuse # 9 (heater blower/ac blower) no voltage ,#5 (turn lamps/back up) no voltage, #13 (instrument illumination) no voltage. I was reading somewhere that maybe the ignition switch may be bad? is there a way to test it?

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    If it is your ignition switch, you will know right away as it will most likely come apart when you unbolt it from the column. If you have never replaced it, that would be a good place to start.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

4 PSI Boost
    OK makes the most sense, also the turn signals are not working (hazards work) and when i purchased the car the "kid" told me that the ac compressor was bad? I have a brand new one in box oem. Hopefully it is a $15 fix

Sounds like you found your culprit, glad to see you are making some progress. Just remember the lock cylinder is separate from the ignition switch assembly, so you don't have to replace both assemblies if you don't want to. For some reference instructions, I have some in my project thread here:

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post264911

Good luck and let us know if that solves your issue.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

4 PSI Boost
    OK, good news and bad news !!! The good!!! the ignition switch was bad (was coming apart). Bad news is the blower motor is hard to turn and is blowing fuse. There was remnants of a mouse nest but was not that bad, I was able to get most of it out but the blower cage is hard to turn with a screwdriver.

How bad is it to remove the blower?

Thanks everyone for your help!!!! I feel like a pain in the *** asking all of these questions!!!! Is there a manual that you would recommend I purchase??? I purchased one when I first bought the car but was not that much help. (Haynes Ford Mustang repair manual)

Also, the blinkers now work!!

Name:	ignition switch mustang.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	46425

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    If I recall correctly, you can remove the fan motor without removing the dash. You should be able to get a replacement from RockAuto.com. You can get one for $13. You may need to remove the glovebox to access the top bolts.
    Last edited by GAboySVO; Yesterday at 07:15 PM.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Glad to hear you got the ignition switch fixed, that can cause all kinds of intermittent issues, some you may never consider being an ignition switch issue too.

Mike is correct on the blower motor removal, you DO NOT have to pull the dash. Your Haynes manual actually has some decent illustrations and instructions on how to do it. Check out pages 3-19 through 3-22. Page 3-22 for 85/86 w/air conditioning will send you back to page 3-20 for 79-84 w/air conditioning as they are the same layout. Following through the instructions, you will basically be pulling the right-hand side of the HVAC box down and out from under the dash, which contains the blower motor assembly. Believe it or not, the Ford Shop Manual has the same instructions and illustrations, but they are split apart in separate sections so the Haynes manual is better for this job!! Here are the Ford shop manual pages related to pulling the "Air Inlet Duct and Blower Housing Assembly" and also the "Blower Motor and Wheel Assembly". Not an easy job, but not completely horrible either. I would suggest pulling your passenger seat to get some improved room to fit your body while working under the dash. Don't forget to put some padding on the front studs for the seat so you don't puncture your rib cage.

As far as manuals go, you are somewhat limited. They Haynes isn't too bad, really. I think there was a Chilton's at one point. Try and find an 85 Ford shop manual set or at least the B & D manuals. Another one to search for would be a Mustang/Capri EVTM (Electrical & Vacuum Trouble-Shooting Manual). Lastly would be a copy of Allan Slocum's "The Complete Turbo 2.3L EEC-IV Handbook and a copy of Charles O. Probst's "Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control" book. I have and reference all of these on a regular basis when something comes up that I can't easily figure out. A good reference library is worth its weight in gold.

Name:	Manual - Ford_Shop_B_1986_36-40-18.jpg 
Size:	494.8 KB 
ID:	46426 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manual - Ford_Shop_B_1986_36-40-19.jpg 
Size:	537.4 KB 
ID:	46427 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manual - Ford_Shop_B_1986_36-40-20.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	560.1 KB 
ID:	46428
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

4 PSI Boost
    Ted, thank you for coping info for me. I have misplaced my Haynes manual so will have to get another copy. I will also search for your recommendation of manuals.