Thread: Engine idle issue

4 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1984 SVO

Engine idle issue

My SVO has developed an idle issue & I need to know where to start looking.
    It's a 1984, all original with 29,000 miles. Had been stored for many years. When I got the car last summer I had the fuel system cleaned out & new fuel filters installed. It has been running great I drive it once or twice a week & have put 850 mies on it.
    The problem; When I drive it for about 20 minutes. and then park it for 15 minutes to an hour it is hard to restart, like it is not getting fuel. Once it fires up it will not idle, I have to keep on the gas or it will cut out. Once I get it going, I only need to drive 1/2 mil & it is fine again with normal idle. The car then runs great.
    No issues when driving, the turbo works great & My car friends that have V8s have all been amazed at its performance. The car fires right up & idles normal from cold.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

4 PSI Boost
    Following - I have the same issue but only occasionally. Maybe when it is raining. I have to try to keep track of when it happens.

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    As your car is an 84, I would be suspicious of the wiring loom near the TFI. Try using the wiggle test when it starts cold to see if you can cause the issue. The other possible culprit could be the ECT providing incorrect readings when the car is warm. Another thing to try is to cycle the ignition at least 3 times before a warm start to see if there is a fuel pressure issue. If you haven't done so, it may be a good idea to remove and clean the IAC.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: '86 2R
    Before you do a wiggle test, I'd do a physical inspection first. If the issue is what Mike is hinting at, you could have failing insulation on the wires in the TFI harness. Wiggling them will only make it worse. If this is your issue, there are (or were) replacement harnesses available from Ford. They replacement harness is probably way out of production, but may not hurt to look around.

While they usually completely fail, TFIs can 'act up' while in the process of failing. If you don't already have a spare, you should get one, and the tool to replace it in a restaurant parking lot when it does finally fail.

I've been told a spare is a good idea to have in the glove box.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

4 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1984 SVO
    Thanks Mike & Gene. I'll start looking for a replacement before I experiment with the connection

SVO's: 1985 4E + 1c 84 1e
    I think finding a harness is like finding a passenger outer marker light....
    The best solution would probably get a TFI pigtail loom and cut back the culprit wires and splice in the loom using lots of shrink wrap tubing to make a nice sealed repair
    Rob

85 4e