14 PSI Boost

Oil Filer Cap & PCV Valve Advice

All,

My son and I installed new plugs and wires (Motorcraft) on my 85.5 this afternoon. When replacing the PCV valve, the old one came out fairly easy but when installing the new one it was very, very loose. And yes, it's a Motorcarft EV-127A valve. Are they normally very loose? I purchased the car over ten years ago from the original owner and never had to do any work on the engine expect replace the alternator and oil/filter. Figured since I was replacing the cap and rotor I might as well replace the valve.

And, we also found some oil on the side of the valve cover and it came from the oil filler cap. It's the original cap and it appears not to have any gasket material that would seal to the valve cover. I would like to keep the cap since its original so can anyone tell me if there is a gasket on the bottom of the cap?

Thanks!
    mustangcruise

14 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1985 1/2 9L
    You can get a new oil filler cap from any parts store or from Rockauto. There was a gasket on the cap but if it is like my original the rubber hardened and cracked off. New one is cheap.
    For the PCV valve, the hose that runs from the oil separator to the PCV valve, and the PCV valve plugs into one end, also gets hard over time and won't seal around the valve any longer. I have found that the Dayco D80412 hose is nearly perfect to replace that hose. You may have to trim the length a little but the size is correct and the elbow length is just right. Local auto store or Rockauto.

SVO's: 86 1E
    The caps from Rock Auto are rock hard and don't seal. I guess that's not accurate cause I could not get it on the gasket was so hard. I did find another rubber gasket at the hardware store and the cap was original looking. Has worked well since.
    Bruce

SVO's: 86 1C
    For my 86, on the oil filler cap I ended up making a rubber gasket from a jar opener sheet, the textured rubber pad. Cut to fit the OD of the cap stem and slightly wider than the caps flange OD. You can feel the tension against it as you turn it into locking position, works great and cheap/easy enough to replace.

On the PCV, your experience is dead on. If you can't/don't want to source the Dayco hose that Cisco mentioned, you could add a worm gear clamp to the hose. This is what I did many moons ago and all you need to do is snug it just ever so slightly, as the pressure in that line is never very much...mainly vacuum.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    I use o-ring installed in the groove of the hard stock gasket to do the final sealing. Works for me.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

14 PSI Boost
    Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to present the options to my son and see what he thinks. He has been showing serious interest in the car and has helped work on it. Even though he's 18 he wants to learn how to drive a car with a manual transmission and he has told me he wants take it to the car show later this spring at his high school. Sounds like we will be go to cruises together this summer.
    mustangcruise