Thread: New shoes...

SVO's: 86 1C

New shoes...

Well, my RE-71R's have seen some action and still performed well at the 2018 Reunion auto-x , but they are starting to get a bit 'thin' shall we say and I was certainly considering replacing them with the same unit. That was until I did some research and found a new hot shoe on the block and for a price I could not pass up.

That is the newer Yoko A052, which seems like it has similar capabilities to the RE-71R, but is now priced ~$27/tire less due to them cleaning out 'old' inventory at Tire Rack. The 'old' designation is that they were cast in December 14/15, 2017, so just over a year ago...not really that old when considering they were in Tire Rack's climate controlled warehouse. The size difference (235 vs 245) doesn't seem to be much of an issue, because the 'narrower' Yoko specs a tread width of 8.5" vs the 'Stones 8.2" width.

Looking forward to getting the new shoes on the car at some point this summer, certainly before I have to go up against Dave and his A7's, that's for sure...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yoko - A052_01.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	46424
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Will be interested to hear your feedback on these ...

cheers
    Ed
    84 SVO 1E, option delete 11/83 prod.
    95 Jaguar XJR, also boosted

I will give some feedback when I get them on and turn them in anger.

The RE-71R's have been great and were going to go on a 2nd round, but the price swayed me over to the A052. This will now be the 3rd set of Yoko's on my car, first set came with it and were the AVS Intermediate tires...very sticky after a short burnout and great for street racing. Second set were the A520's that came on the former '96 Cobra wheels I got and they were better than the Comp T/A ZR's I was running on the stock wheels and now we have the A052's.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I had RE71R rubber that came on the old 16" ARE mesh wheels that went on my car two summers ago. Then I decided to swap them out for something a bit friendlier in standing water since these were going to be my street and track tires, so I got a set of RE-11 Bridgestone. When I had trouble with the sealing on the ARE 2-piece wheels, and a deal came along for the beautiful 17" Sterns I have now, I couldn't resist ... on those wheels I put Firestone Indy 500 rubber which are obviously a few notches down, but work quite well for the price. I'm not competing with this car or looking for best lap times, I save that driving for when I have the Nomex on and am in an actual race car. LOL

A few years ago I was going to go to the RE-11's, as they were the next-gen RE-01R's, but the RE-71R was just being released and were less than the RE-11's at the time. My RE-71R's were so early in the production run they have blank treadwear/temp/traction fields, which is apparently common with initial production runs of tires. I have heard that the Indy 500's are really good for the price and decent in the twisties. While I don't 'compete' I do like to have fun w/o pucker factors if possible and since I avoid driving in rain/wet if at all possible, wet traction isn't a big worry on my end. Combine that with the fact that my last 2 sets of tires have aged out before wearing out due to low miles driven, I have moved onto tires that now are wearing out prior to aging out.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    wow, they got several nice deals on close-outs... ...

TOYO
    PROXES R1R

Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    wow, they got several nice deals on close-outs... ...

TOYO
    PROXES R1R

I have heard those Toyo's get a bit 'greasy' with cars that weigh as much as ours when out on an HPDE, not sure about auto-x capability though.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

R1R is a very old design, agree with Ted's comment. For a short auto-x course or street driving they'd be fine, but lapping on a hot day on a 3,000 lb car you're likely to get some chunking and feel the greasiness. Not a bad choice for a street and wet track day tire if you are also running dedicated dry track tires.

cheers
    Ed