Just a bit of BOOST

new member - Marti report help ?

Good morning, I have been the owner of an 85.5 medium canyon red SVO for about 8 months. I have been squaring away some wiring issues, tuning the car..it's in exceptional condition and from what I am told John Huber was the original owner of the car which I thought was really cool. I decided to purchase the Marti report for the car and found a couple of interesting things, I am hoping someone here might be able to shine a light on.On the report, it lists the car being built in late July 85 and based on the production # it's definitely an 85.5. My concern on this was from when I had a fuel pump go out, this car has an external pump (I am assuming there is another pump in the tank for the dual setup) and I was told that the dual setup stopped with the 85.It also lists on the report the car is a Mustang SVO Version A car ? I cant find anywhere what this "Version A" means.The last bit of confusion is where the report lists which dealer the car was ordered through, mine lists the Dearborn plant. Thinking this was a mistake on the report I went back and asked and was told that the car was ordered internally within Ford ? I found that strange because it shows released first week of August but not sold until Jan 23 of 86 ? If an internal purchase from someone working at the plant you wouldn't think a 6 month gap to sell.I have some more tracking to do, the car also shows cloth seats but mine has leather in it...the correct leather seats with air bleeder pumps and all. Noone I spoke to has claimed to have swapped the seats out.Sorry for the novel, hoping someone can shed some light for me. I'm very interested in knowing more about this car.Thanks,

Version A is 85.5 Version B is 85. Not sure why it is not just the opposite. Since the Hubers had it they may have added the extra pump. I have never heard of a 85.5 having more than one in tank pump. Most cars ordered to be used by ford were 89 DSO, I have a couple of them. As far as when delivered to when it sold. I bought a new 84 svo in June. It had been on the lot since November. Ty that is on this site bought a new silver 84 svo in 1985, it had been on the lot for almost a year. We both still have them. Kendal
    Kendal Coker

SVO's: 86 1C
    Welcome to the forums and congrats on your purchase! I would think Jon could fill you in on all the details, but we can certainly try and give you some tips/hints. I am sure some folks on here can chime in on the accuracy of the Marti reports and what they contain, as I don't have any experience with them.

Differences between an 85 & 85.5 are pretty apparent, not sure how familiar you are with what they are. Main external difference is flush headlights and dual cat-back exhaust on the 85.5 vs setback lights and a dual tip single exhaust on the 85's. The intake on an 85.5 is known as a 'square' intake vs the 'inline' style on the 85's, where the square/inline designates the orientation of the upper runners from the throttle body down into the lower intake. There are some other visual cues, but those are the major ones.

You are correct with the fuel pump setup, the 84/85's had a low-pressure intake 'pickup' pump and a high-pressure inline pump on the frame rail that I believe sat where the passenger side muffler would sit on the 85.5/86's. Since I haven't worked on an 84/85 I can't say for sure.

I do know that Jon's uncle (i.e.- Papa Jon's brother) worked for Ford, as a powertrain engineer I believe. That is how Jon ended up with the first 79 2.3L turbo car that is actually quite famous due to its drag racing exploits. The fact that your car shows it was an internal order isn't hard to believe, but something isn't right with the timeline of things and I agree with you scratching your head with the order date vs sold date. My 86 was built in Jan 86, but didn't show it being titled till Aug 86, which is completely plausible based on how well our cars sold on the lot, but a factory order should show a much shorter time frame. Maybe your SVO was used as an internal corporate vehicle and didn't wander out to private ownership till Jan 86?? The internal order may also explain the leather vs cloth built seats, they could have been swapped during/after the build and have always been on the car out in the wild.

Hope some of this info helps a little and I am sure some other folks on here can add more info to help out. **Of course Kendal beat me to it!! He certainly has a great amount of 'inside' knowledge on our cars.**
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Just a bit of BOOST
    Thank you guys so much for the info, I have been tracking some info through here and FB and found some interesting stuff. It appears the last production day on the 85.5 was 8-1-85 and my car was built on 7-30 so it appears to be one of the last ones but still 5465 away (vin wise) from the 3rd to the last produced. I am guessing the car could have had the extra pump added, there has been work done to the head and a cam installed by the Hubers so its believable but the connections all look pretty stock.
    I'm still waiting on the personalized stat report from Marti, that may shed some more light on the history. One of the guys talking to me on the FB page sent me a picture last night of the car at the SVOCA nationals in 2003, he said he thinks it won first place that year. pretty cool history.

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    That was me on FB. If you go to the Reunions for 2003 section here you'll see that it was first place at that year's reunion. There are also more pics shown there so you may find another one of your car.

Ted confirms what I said about the Huber's having Ford connections: "I do know that Jon's uncle (i.e.- Papa Jon's brother) worked for Ford, as a powertrain engineer I believe. That is how Jon ended up with the first 79 2.3L turbo car that is actually quite famous due to its drag racing exploits."

Also if you join the SVOCA you can look it up in the registry and get all the production data as well as any entries made / recorded history over the years. That can include any sales between previous owners that usually go untracked. Well worth the $30 investment.

SVO's: 84 U3
    Yep, they were a tough sell when they were sitting next to the GT and the sales person had no idea what an SVO was or how it performed. The 85.5 that I currently have was built on 7/26/85 and appears to have taken 6 months to sell. Good luck with the research.
    PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

There were two kinds of SVOs sold. First was one that was ordered by the new buyer and the other the was ordered on speculation by the dealer. While my original 85.5 was ordered as the new dealer demonstrator I went looking for one and put a deposit on it making it mine. I couldn't wait for it to be delivered.

One week after I took delivery I went on a 2 week vacation to the Florida Keys and Ft. Lauderdale SCUBA Diving and enjoying it. Gave it a proper break in on the interstate. To be a single guy, 27 years old, and in my brand new SVO free to go where ever I wanted. Those were the days.

Didn't mean to hijack. Just some memories of August 1985.

SVO's: 86 1C
    I'm a little late to the party, but thought I would add my $0.02.

If I'm not mistaken, the dual-pump went away in 85.5 and 86 due to use of dual exhaust pipes out the back of the car.....

So if your car has dual pumps, does it have a single exhaust system?
    86 SVO 1C