6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 svo, black

1986 Daily "fun" driver build

So I picked up an 86 bi wing delete recently and am going to build it for "daily driver" duty. I'm looking to hopefully get 300-350 rwhp. If anyone has suggestions on how to accomplish this I would love to hear some ideas. I am a Lexus mechanic by trade and a tinkerer by blood haha! Been playing with cars since I was about 15. Mostly I have played with old school american muscle or led sleds. This is my first foray into the turbo world. I look forward to learning and building this one.

The beginning
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2575.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	46448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2574.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	282.9 KB 
ID:	46449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2572.jpg 
Size:	285.4 KB 
ID:	46450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2571.jpg 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	46451

SVO's: 1985 4E
    I’d start with a PiMP plug and play ecu. They’re a great investment. Of course a front mount, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, boost controller, wideband, and a 255lph fuel pump to accompany it.

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Welcome to the madness. It's fun. To reach your target HP, you will need to install a front mount intercooler and improve the airflow through the head. BoPort can do your port and polish work and his work has been proven on the dyno. I have his 2.1 roller cam and like it a lot. Porting the upper and lower intake will help it breath. You can also make some HP by porting the exhaust manifold. You definitely need a 3" down pipe. Stinger makes a kit.

If you are planning on pulling the engine out, then I would upgrade the rod bolts to ARPs. The other thing to consider is changing the turbine housing from a .48 AR to a .63 AR again to help out airflow.

You should also do some reading over at TurboFord.org. SOme of the guys over there are making big HP numbers and most everything has been discussed before to reach your target HP goals.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 svo, black
    Thanks guys. My biggest problem is California emissions laws. Front mount is a no no know by law. I have some ideas and already have a 3 inch down pipe, got it in the purchase . I got a boat load of stuff with the car. It was the best deal I have come across my entire life! I will post more about it as I go. Thanks for the heads up on the turbo housing! Has anyone tried the Bell intercooler that fits in the factory housing? It flows 600 plus cfm.

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    Do a search for the Bell Helicopter core here.

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by badmfer65 View Post
    Thanks guys. My biggest problem is California emissions laws. Front mount is a no no know by law. I have some ideas and already have a 3 inch down pipe, got it in the purchase . I got a boat load of stuff with the car. It was the best deal I have come across my entire life! I will post more about it as I go. Thanks for the heads up on the turbo housing! Has anyone tried the Bell intercooler that fits in the factory housing? It flows 600 plus cfm.
    Some info here:

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthread.php?15519-About-to-start-body-restoration-on-86/page12

Starting at post 184, I think. My IC is still not together, but was tabled for other projects.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas