Thread: Rear Bushings

Rear Bushings

Going through the suspension since the only items that have been replaced are the shocks (19 years ago) in its entire life, so started with the rear upper and lower control arms over the weekend. I'm pretty impressed that I didn't have a frozen bolt to the bushing sleeve, or anything worse. Here are the 33yr old 170k mile upper/lower bushings, they don't look so bad for their age:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2516.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	46458

Going the SN95 LCA/Ball joint in the front next weekend with B springs. Ironically, the rear height (with new spring isolators) with the new springs didn't change (26.5" from ground to top of wheel well). Haven't really driven it around much for it to settle, but I did load the rear while tightening the bolts. Will update when the front it completed (the ball joints are really bad).
    86 SVO
    89 LX 5.0
    88 Saleen 351-blown
    99 Saleen

The B and C spring instructions used to tell you to trim a part of the dead upper coil off to get the ride height down ... is that still the case? The rear springs in those kits were just no-option 5.0L LX coupe springs.

cheers
    Ed
    84 SVO 1E, option delete 11/83 prod.
    95 Jaguar XJR, also boosted

The springs came with no instructions. I'm pretty sure the 5.0/GT fox body's all had the same springs or I would of heard about it. Are you saying there were different springs depending on the options and trim?
    86 SVO
    89 LX 5.0
    88 Saleen 351-blown
    99 Saleen

SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by Daily 86 SVO View Post
    The springs came with no instructions. I'm pretty sure the 5.0/GT fox body's all had the same springs or I would of heard about it. Are you saying there were different springs depending on the options and trim?
    This is true, the GT/LX vs Convertible vs engine option had different spring rates...at least what I have found in various sources of info. I don't have the listing with me here, but can post it up tonight when I get home.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I'll agree the different engine options had different spring rates, but from fox GT/LX 5.0 vs Convertible (they did have better bracing, but not that good)? I remember back in the day putting 4 cyl springs up front to help with the weight transfer on the strip.

But I could be wrong, just ask my wife.....
    86 SVO
    89 LX 5.0
    88 Saleen 351-blown
    99 Saleen

Quote Originally Posted by Daily 86 SVO View Post
    They were all the same spring rate on 87-93 5.0L (except 93 Cobra), but there were a bunch of different part numbers to accommodate the differences in weight to get the correct loaded height for LX and GT and the available options. There were 5 different front spring codes and 6 different rear codes for the V8 cars from 87-93, I just looked at the parts catalogue. I've been a Ford parts guy since the late 1980s, and I still have OEM Fox part numbers stuck in my head. LOL

From what I recall from selling the M-5300-B and M-5300-C kits from back in the day, the rear springs included were the E5SC-5560-A* from the LX notch with no options. Instructions showed to cut off 1/3 to 1/2 of the top dead coil to get the ride height down comparable to the front.
    Last edited by fast Ed; 03-05-2019 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add info
    84 SVO 1E, option delete 11/83 prod.
    95 Jaguar XJR, also boosted

SVO's: '86 2R
    I have the B spring set, but went with the MM rear LCAs with the adjustable spring perches to take care of any adjustment. As the car sits now, the rear ride height is just about perfect for me. I still have to do the fronts.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas