What ECU do I have - 1985.5 SVO?

Gents,

Just bought an '85.5 and am learning the car. Really don't much history on it.

I looked and confirmed that it has an e6 manifold and a larger Garrett m24 A/R 70 attached to it (I don't know the details on the turbo yet other than the housing).

Here's a pic of the ECU - looks like it belongs to a TC..? Any thoughts guys, input?
    Thanks in advanceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3391.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	402.0 KB 
ID:	46469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ecu.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	265.0 KB 
ID:	46470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	passenger door jamb.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	46471.

SVO's: 84 9W, 85 1B
    I believe the LA2 is from 87 &88 turbo coupe with automatic transmission. LA3 is from 87 & 88 turbo coupe with 5 speed.
    Perry Mitchell
    SVOCA#187

SVO's: 86 1C
    Almost Perry, not trying to knock you. The LA/LA2/LA3 were from the 87-88 TC's w/manual and the LB2/LB3/8UA were from the 87-88 TC's w/auto. I don't have any direct experience with them, but they all have a higher processor frequency/rate and have been shown to run a bit smoother than our EEC's. They are usually upgrades for the 84/85 SVO's and not the 85.5/86's. Interesting what all they did with your car considering the EEC swap.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Quote Originally Posted by High Roller View Post
    I believe the LA2 is from 87 &88 turbo coupe with automatic transmission. LA3 is from 87 & 88 turbo coupe with 5 speed.
    Did some more research; it's from an '87 TC 5 speed.

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    LA2, = 1987, LA3 = 1988
    85.5 would have a PE stock.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

4 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 85 SVO
    Just reading your post and I have a wiring issue or maybe even a dead ECU. Do you know if there are a lot of pin swaps required if I put an LA series into my 85? Thanks

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb0013 View Post
    Just reading your post and I have a wiring issue or maybe even a dead ECU. Do you know if there are a lot of pin swaps required if I put an LA series into my 85? Thanks
    What are your symptoms?
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

4 PSI Boost
    Former owner monkeyed with the wiring. It turns over and has spark but wonít start. I had it in to one shop and it was running apparently but they said it needed an engine but couldnít do anything until the fall. Went to another shop to get it looked at at they canít figure out how it could have run. They fixed 4 different breaks so far. Thatís why Iím thinking ECU but it just might be more bad wiring. I think I will have myself a winter wiring project. Do anyone know if there is a wiring diagram on the site anywhere?

Thanks for your help everyone.

SVO's: 86 1C
    I think the LA series swap requires only 3-4 pins to be moved around at the most. Don't take my word on this, as I have only assisted in helping out other owners with theirs and not my own vehicle. I am sure other folks on here can chime in who have done it. There are a couple sensors not on our cars, that were present on the TC's, so you will set a couple codes, but they won't prevent the car from starting/running.

Start searching for an 1985 Ford Mustang/Capri EVTM (Electrical & Vacuum Trouble-shooting Manual) out on the interwebs. They are invaluable when trying to trace a circuit and unfortunately are hard to find these days. I have an 86 EVTM, but not sure if it will match up with your 85 or not. If you want to see something specific, let me know and I can shoot you a scanned copy.
    Last edited by svono50; 06-09-2019 at 11:58 PM.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

4 PSI Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    I think the LA series swap requires only 3-4 pins to be moved around at the most. Don't take my word on this, as I have only assisted in helping out other owners with theirs and not my own vehicle. I am sure other folks on here can chime in who have done it. There are a couple sensors not on our cars, that were present on the TC's, so you will set a couple codes, but they won't prevent the car from starting/running.

Start searching for an 1985 Ford Mustang/Capri EVTM (Electrical & Vacuum Trouble-shooting Manual) out on the interwebs. They are invaluable when trying to trace a circuit and unfortunately are hard to find these days. I have an 86 EVTM, but not sure if it will match up with your 85 or not. If you want to see something specific, let me know and I can shoot you a scanned copy.

Thank you so much. I will start that search and I really appreciate the offer of scanning documents.

Take care

P.S. I found an EVTM manual in Minnesota, it's on its way!!

Mike
    Last edited by mikeyb0013; 06-10-2019 at 08:59 AM.

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb0013 View Post
    Former owner monkeyed with the wiring. It turns over and has spark but won’t start. I had it in to one shop and it was running apparently but they said it needed an engine but couldn’t do anything until the fall. Went to another shop to get it looked at at they can’t figure out how it could have run. They fixed 4 different breaks so far. That’s why I’m thinking ECU but it just might be more bad wiring. I think I will have myself a winter wiring project. Do anyone know if there is a wiring diagram on the site anywhere?

Thanks for your help everyone.
    Full breaks, or insulation breakage? 84's and I think some early 85's were known to have brittle insulation that could crack off and allow some wiring to touch, leading to start/run issues. I had such issues on an 84, and most of that problem was fixed with a replacement distributor harness.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas