Thread: Bolt help needed

6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 85 1/2 Black SVO

Bolt help needed

Anyone have a list of the bolt sizes and grades needed for the upper and lower CA's as well as the connection to the axles? Want to replace all the bolts as they are really rusty. Not sure what sizes to get and what grades are needed. For some reason I majorly slacked off on bagging and tagging bolts when it got the the rear of the car! LOL!

Lower arms use M12 x 103 mm long on both ends, the uppers use M12 x 81.5 mm on both ends, all are 10.9 grade. Unfortunately these are long obsolete and gone from Ford. Part numbers were N802293-S426 and N800932-S100 if you want to try some Google searching for the original stuff. In some cases the later SN95 Mustangs had newer numbers for suspension hardware that superceded the Fox stuff, but on the rear arms, Ford changed the hardware to M14 diameter for 1999-2004, so that's no help.

cheers
    Ed
    84 SVO 1E, option delete 11/83 prod.
    95 Jaguar XJR, also boosted

SVO's: 86 1C
    I hate when that happens

I know for certain they are Grade 10.9 Metric screws/nuts with an 18mm flanged hex head. It looks like there are a couple places that offer up kits to replace all the rear fasteners, the only one with almost full details is Jeg's of all places. Looks like their kits has M12x1.75 x 90mm/110mm (upper/lower). I can't say for certain on the overall length, but that sounds correct for me. You can fairly easily measure the width you need with everything out of the car to confirm lengths.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Based on Ed's quick response (just beat me), you can source 100mm length screws from McMaster-Carr in packs of (5). You would just have (2) spares left over. You can also source the matching Class 10 flanged/serrated nuts there too.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    Thanks for the info! Is there a part number for that kit on Jegs?

The Jeg's kit is: 555-60552 and lists for $30. If you go with the McMaster-Carr option, you would order two 5-packs of 100mm bolts (98093A781) and a 10-pack of nuts (96595A104) for a total of $22.09. The difference between the two would be the shipping as I am sure they would both charge some sort of tax. McMaster's shipping cost is usually a little on the high side, but you would likely get it next day if ordered early enough in the day.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    Thanks for that info! I decided to go the Jegs route since the bolts were a little longer. I'm experimenting with some Steeda Control arms to see how they work. I know the stock bolts seemed to be a tad too short in those so the extra length they have ought to be a bonus!

Let us know how they work, would be good to know as a potential source for replacements. I know whatever the length of the stock upper bolts, they were a bit short for my UMI upper arms on the axle side, since the UMI units have a much thicker material for the bolt flange. When I went to the PM3L, I replaced the stock bolts for the 100mm McMaster's and they gave a more appropriate amount of thread protrusion through the nut (i.e.- >1 diameter).
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    The Bolts works perfect I got from Jegs. The extra length was exactly what I needed. Hoping to bolt the axle in rest of the way this weekend. Then it's on to the front suspension.

Thanx for the update, glad to hear they worked!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4