6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 85 1/2 Black SVO

Steering Rack Replacement

OK, I know this had been covered several times before. Wondering what the updated sources are out there now? I ordered the performance suspension rack from Napa today. Part 361011. It bothers me they don't list a steering ratio at all for it. Would there be any way to tell if it is correct otherwise? Is there anyone out there that rebuilds these things I could send it to?

SVO's: '86 2R
    Send what to? The rebuilt you got from Napa, or the OEM rack? You may want to check with AGR Steering to see if they can rebuild your OEM, if that's what you're looking for. I think they indicated that I could send them my OEM rack to them and get it rebuilt, but that was some time ago.

I ordered their 15:1 'heavy' rack, and it seems to be just a bit lighter effort than the OEM rack. The ratio seems good, it's just a bit light in the effort. I'm not going to mess with it again, though, until I get the rest of the car finished, if I do anything at all in this respect.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    The only way to insure that the rack has the same feel as stock is to have yours rebuilt. The replacements never seam to get the valving correct.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by GAboySVO View Post
    The only way to insure that the rack has the same feel as stock is to have yours rebuilt. The replacements never seam to get the valving correct.
    That is certainly the case from all the folks I have heard trying to replace their racks. My guess is that our valving was unique, even compared to the 5.0L setups, despite having the same ratio.

I just thought about this, is the 'feel' simply controlled by a set of internal orifii in the rack? If so, is that orifii removable? And if that is so, could you not transfer the restrictor orifice from your original rack to the rebuild unit? I am just thinking out loud on this based on my experience with various hydraulic circuits I have come across at work equipment.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    My limited experience with GM PS gear boxes, the feel is controlled by the orifices AND the torsion bar part of the input shaft. The thicker the bar, the more effort it takes to turn the wheels and the quicker it responds. I have no clue what diameter the bar is on the SVO rack, though.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Wish I kept my rack and had it rebuilt myself. Took a chance and rolled craps with a store bought rebuilt one. I found this NOS on ebay, but $1,500 is too much for my blood:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-NEW-198...ry!62401!US!-1
    86 SVO
    89 LX 5.0
    88 Saleen 351-blown
    99 Saleen

6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 85 1/2 Black SVO
    In the end I decided to put clean up my old rack and put it back in. I don't know that it was necessarily leaking or having issues so I'll see what happens. I talked to AGR Steering and they don't rebuild. He actually state there is nothing different about the SVO rack vs. a 5.0 rack. All the same parts. That does contradict what I have always been told. So who really knows? Can't find anyone that actually rebuilds them. Even AGR would only sell me a new one. So we'll see when it gets back to running again!

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    I think I read somewhere that Cardone would rebuild it for you.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

I have a Napa replacement / rebuilt R&P in my 86 SVO. Steering is waaaaaay to loose. Old one is long gone. Live and learn.

I've thought about installing an aftermarket PS pressure restrictor, but never went far enough to find a source or try anything....
    86 SVO 1C

I think AGR steering has a mental block, as everyone I have heard of with an SVO that put in a 5.0L rack has stated exactly what Joe noted above. While it is the same 15:1 ratio, the valving inside the rack is unique and properly matched to the pump on our car to give the heavier feedback. I haven't taken one apart, but what I know about hydraulic circuits in general from machines I have worked on, the valving is the key to expected output.

I don't know what that guy on Ebay is thinking, but I would never pop $1500 for an OEM rack, that is a bit crazy IMHO.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86 2R CP 86 9L CP
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post

I don't know what that guy on Ebay is thinking, but I would never pop $1500 for an OEM rack, that is a bit crazy IMHO.
    He is simply reselling, as it was originally posted for as Buy it Now or Best Offer on eBay at $800.00. It wasn't listed originally 24 hrs or so...

6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 svo, black
    Has anyone contacted TRW about a rebuild?