Thread: 85.5 in Colorado

14 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 85.5 2A

85.5 in Colorado

Iím new to the SVO and putting my feelers out to find one. Can anyone check out the photos of this one and provide a little feedback? Looks like some engine work has been done. Interior thoughts? Thanks!https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/D...rd-Mustang-SVO

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    I've seen this one before and it looks OK but more like $7000 to me.

They don't show the rear seats for some reason but the fronts are recovered in aftermarket leather and not factory original.

The engine looks correct except for the cone air filter, which is OK, and lots of wire and hose covers to jazz it up. The dash panels need to be reflocked and the shift knob is toast. It does have the correct D style Konis. It is missing the correct SVO style locking lug nuts.

They also don't show the door tag which is strange and don't give the VIN.

Also SVOs do NOT have driver and passenger side airbags... HAHA

14 PSI Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Potter View Post
    I've seen this one before and it looks OK but more like $7000 to me.They don't show the rear seats for some reason but the fronts are recovered in aftermarket leather and not factory original.The engine looks correct except for the cone air filter, which is OK, and lots of wire and hose covers to jazz it up. The dash panels need to be reflocked and the shift knob is toast. It does have the correct D style Konis. It is missing the correct SVO style locking lug nuts.They also don't show the door tag which is strange and don't give the VIN.Also SVOs do NOT have driver and passenger side airbags... HAHA
    Thanks Ken! I see you are fellow Georgia boy! I am learning a lot but have a long way to go. Do you know of any 85.5 or 86 SVOs around here! Iím looking for something that is ready to go. Iím willing to spend 10-12k if itís local.

I have an extremely rare 86 in 4E / Sage Green for sale but it isn't what I consider ready to go. It should be completely restored given that there are only about 7 or 8 of them left.

Not something that should be daily driven. Look in the for sale section for my ad.

14 PSI Boost
    Would you be willing to talk over the phone? Tried to PM but it says you are full.

I just cleared out my inbox.

14 PSI Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Potter View Post
    I just cleared out my inbox.
    What do you think about this one? Sight unseen?https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...ale-utah-84047

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    nice car, but think it's a tad overpriced for a 120k mile car.

I think the pics are limited, and don't show a few problem areas so well, as well as hard to tell mechanical condition.

Not saying a 120k mile car can't be wort that, just that it's not the norm.
    to be honest, time is harder on these cars than miles.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 2R CP 86 9L CP
    I agree with Eric... from the few pictures posted it does look nice.

The overall miles vs. price does not bother me provided the car is in a condition to justify the price. Based on your location, that is quite a haul to view in person.

If you are seriously considering the car, I would request more pictures; interior (seats, rear hatch panels, leather trim items, carpet, etc.), exterior (all sides), under carriage (undercoated or not), engine bay (front and side views), etc.

Ask questions; what has been changed/replaced from original? What is the condition of the suspension; front struts, lower control arms, etc.

Appears to be a dealer listing the car, is a CARFAX available for free? The listing states one family owned, I would still want to see the history.

The repaint in the mid-90's was typical due to the quality of paint and primer Ford was using at the time. Both of my first two SVO's had been repainted during that same time period.

I personally like original documentation. I feel it adds some value to the car. Items like window sticker, dealer and buyer invoices, owners manual, receipts, etc.

There are quite a few nice SVO's in your price range that come up for sale regularly, I would not be too eager. Take your time and you will find the right car. Good luck with your search.

14 PSI Boost
    Thanks for the info! I also noticed with that car that the speedo went way above 85, thoughts on that?

SVO's: 86 2R CP 86 9L CP
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFRichards View Post
    Thanks for the info! I also noticed with that car that the speedo went way above 85, thoughts on that?
    Factory speedo, for the SVO, numbers goes up to 85 and then the marks beyond.

SVO's: 86 1E
    That speedo has the 140 overlay on it. A stock SVO speedo has all the hash marks to 140 but the numbers stop at 85 per laws of the time! Fords clever dodge on the rules.
    Bruce

SVO's: 86 1C
    You could purchase through Ford Motorsport, back in the day, a Fox 140 mph speedo with the numbers all the way up. That was allowed per the aftermarket, but Federal regulations limited numbering anything above 85mph, as they felt it may encourage folks to go faster than that...oh, how naive they were in that notion! I know on one particular occasion I pushed mine just past the last hash mark, back when I was invincible ya know. If you see an SVO with numbers above 85mph (US) or 135 kph (Canada) (not sure that kph #), the speedo/odo has likely been swapped out.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4