14 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 2R

Improved stock intercooler - who makes it?

I read a while back that someone has made an improved core for the stock intercooler. I would like to get a few more horses out of my car, but I don't want to go to a front mount intercooler. I want to keep the stock look. So who has the stock intercooler with the improved core with high tech heat resistance coatings?

6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1986 work in progres
    do a search on bell intercooler in the forum

SVO's: 86 1C
    ^^ that would be your 'best' way to see the info.

Just adding a more efficient core to the intercooler doesn't necessarily gain you HP in all situations. I would suggest adding a manual boost controller (i.e.- Gillis valve) to raise your boost pressure a couple of points, which will certainly pump up your HP numbers by several points. That type of poppet valve method also masks your wastegate valve from seeing any boost till it opens and tends to bring up the boost a little quicker, which will increase your mid/upper RPM numbers a bit too.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    I have one and all the info to order it. Funny thing is I took pics of everything 2 days ago to help somebody else out but have just deleted them. It's 11PM so I'll be back tomorrow with all the info.

My plan is to use it with a big valve head, a 3" down pipe, and a cone air filter from my parts stash.

I'll be back...

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrittenum View Post
    I read a while back that someone has made an improved core for the stock intercooler. I would like to get a few more horses out of my car, but I don't want to go to a front mount intercooler. I want to keep the stock look. So who has the stock intercooler with the improved core with high tech heat resistance coatings?
    Not sure of any cores with a coating, and the Bell certainly doesn't have any. The Bell fits, but you could end up with gasket issues due to having the OEM gaskets in contact with oil and fuel for 30+ years. They tend to swell/expand some. No replacement gaskets are available new, AFAIK.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1986 work in progres
    Ken i would be interested in that info also as I am in the process of starting to converting the stock intercooler
    Thanks
    Pete

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    Sorry for the delay. Here is all the info and both sides of the core. The packing slip shows the part number and dimensions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8044.JPG   IMG_8041.JPG   IMG_8040.JPG   IMG_8042.JPG   IMG_8038.JPG  

IMG_8039.JPG  
    Last edited by Ken Potter; 06-05-2019 at 09:39 AM.

6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 svo, black
    Please let us know how it fits and works! I was looking for the same thing.