6 PSI Boost

Another New Member in Texas

Hello, I recently purchased, but have yet to see in person, a 1986 SVO Mustang. I had my brother in law go and look at if for me since it is in Oregon and I am in Houston, TX. He said it looks like it is in pretty good shape, and it runs well so I was willing to make an offer on it and have it delivered to me so that I can have another toy. A little about me, I am a retired Army NCO. After retiring I completed the last few classes for my computer engineering degree at the University of Washington in Seattle, and was offered a job working with NASA down in Houston, TX. A few months ago I moved my family down to Houston to start this job and hopefully make a new home in Texas. I parted with my RS to help in funding the move, and got a truck when I got down here because...Texas. I had been looking for a car to have fun with and tinker with when I have spare time/money. I was torn between the SVO Mustang and the Buick Grand National. My wife and daughter both like the looks of the SVO better than the GN, and I liked that it can do things like corners so I searched for one and found what I hope will be a fun car to own and drive. I dont presently have any plans for the car other than to give it a complete look over once it arrives and determine what state it is in and then give it a complete service. Once that is done I will start tackling any cosmetic/non-emergent issues and start determining what my goals are for the car. I saw that I am supposed to detail my car addiction in this location. Let me start by saying that my car addiction started back long before I was able to drive cars, and it was tempered by helping my dad work on his race cars (he is not a famous race driver or anything, just did local NHRA circuit racing at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, WA). My cars have not all been spectacular engineering achievements, but I liked most of them, loved some of them, and hated a couple too. Below is a pretty comprehensive list of my conquests so far. Some of them have been owned at the same time as others, I have had as many as 3 cars at a time, but never more I dont think. I currently only have the last 2 on the list and as of the time of writing this the SVO is not yet delivered to me since I bought it from 2000 miles away. 1984 Honda Civic 4-door 1978 Honda Civic Hatchback 1961 Fiat 600 2-Door 1985 BMW 3 series 1991 Dodge Shadow 1990 Ford Probe GT 1998 Honda Civic 4-door 2003 VW GTI 1.8t 2004 Ford Expedition 1975 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 2006 Nissan Maxima 2008 Honda Civic Coupe 2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 2010 Toyota Tundra X-sp 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid (hated) 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Special Edition 2013 VW Golf R 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SCA Black Widow 2002 VW Beetle TDi 1989 Honda CRX Si 1956 Willys CJ6 2016 Volvo S60 (hated) 2017 Ford Fiesta ST 2018 Ford Focus RS 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 12A 1986 Ford Mustang SVO (still waiting for the shipper to deliver him to my house)

SVO's: 86 1C
    Welcome to the forums, SVO community and thank you for your service! You certainly have a storied vehicle history, plenty there to prepare you for the quirks of the SVO. The SVO was certainly a 'better' pick over a GN ;-) I used to pal around with a few GN's & T-Types back in the day, while fun in a straight line you better think twice about turning that steering wheel at speed. Post up some pics when you get the car and have fun looking around here.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Welcome to the addiction.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

6 PSI Boost
    Thanks for the welcomes. I think I will appreciate the capabilities of the SVO more than I would have the GN. The GN and T-types are cool, but you cant count on every race being in a straight line. Besides, I want to be able to take this car on cruises on the weekend to car meets and the like...and I hear everyone is stealing your GN if you take your eyes off of it for more than 3 seconds. Also, GAboy, I looked at your Road Warrior resto. Seems very cool. Neat to read about how much personality that little car has.

SVO's: '86 2R
    Welcome to the swamp!
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

6 PSI Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    Welcome to the swamp!
    Yeah, they dont tell you that it is a swamp before you move down here. :p Any issues with passing inspections with your SVO? I dont imagine that there is much they can check for on a non OBD vehicle, but I am always in the market for pro tips.

Funny how that happens, right? Been enjoying the 'cold' weather here lately. Unfortunately, Houston summer returns this weekend. Just don't go driving in the winter if it's freezing outside. Texans think they can drive in any weather, and they can't. Best to stay home and watch the entertainment on TV while you work.

It's >25 years old, so safety-only. Our 86 is a 'spare', so not a DD. We have it listed as an Antique which frees us from any inspections at all. I've been having a heck of a time with our 92 B4C Camaro trying to get it inspected, and am about to throw in the towel and go Antique on it, too.
    Last edited by gbeaird; 07-25-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

6 PSI Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    Funny how that happens, right? Been enjoying the 'cold' weather here lately. Unfortunately, Houston summer returns this weekend. Just don't go driving in the winter if it's freezing outside. Texans think they can drive in any weather, and they can't. Best to stay home and watch the entertainment on TV while you work. It's >25 years old, so safety-only. Our 86 is a 'spare', so not a DD. We have it listed as an Antique which frees us from any inspections at all. I've been having a heck of a time with our 92 B4C Camaro trying to get it inspected, and am about to throw in the towel and go Antique on it, too.
    Ok, cool. It will not be a DD for me either, but I like having the ability to drive it to work if it is sunny and I feel like it and not being limited to taking it to/from shows/meets/parades. Hopefully it shows up either this weekend or early next week so I can give it a once over. LOL on the driving in the freezing. I lived in Augusta GA for about 5 years and it was the same thing, cars stuck to every road barrier. Luckily I only live 2 miles from work and there are no highways or freeways involved. I also suppose I could bring my laptop home and work there, but I dont like it (too distracting since my wife works from home). The only place I lived where people could drive in the snow/freezing roads was upstate NY...way upstate...Fort Drum. Unfortunately they couldnt drive in the rain. Oh well

6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1984 SVO
    Welcome and thanks for your service. You definitely made the right choice. My neighbor has an '87 GN, even he admits my SVO is more fun to drive. Because the SVO was designed from the ground up to be a drivers car its really not even a fair comparison unless you are drag racing. I see you had an '89 CRX Si, I still have my 90 CRX, 300k miles & it is still my errand vehicle, still like it. But when I get in the SVO it just feels awesome. Imagine the CRX on mega steroids, that's the SVO.

6 PSI Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by crizzo View Post
    Welcome and thanks for your service. You definitely made the right choice. My neighbor has an '87 GN, even he admits my SVO is more fun to drive. Because the SVO was designed from the ground up to be a drivers car its really not even a fair comparison unless you are drag racing. I see you had an '89 CRX Si, I still have my 90 CRX, 300k miles & it is still my errand vehicle, still like it. But when I get in the SVO it just feels awesome. Imagine the CRX on mega steroids, that's the SVO.
    That is quite the review. The CRX is a go cart. Not fast by any means unless you put a ton of money into them, but they handle like they are on rails. Great little cars, mine had started leaking from the rear hatch after a young woman bumped into me in the parking garage. I tried chasing the issue for a few months by replacing/fabricating seals and changing tail lights, but nothing seemed to stop it and there was always a fog inside the car. Oh well. I am really excited for the SVO, it got loaded on the shipping truck yesterday, so by this time next week I should have it in my possession!

We've had two vehicles shipped to us. Seeing the rig pull into the driveway is like Christmas!! Enjoy it, and take pictures. :-)
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas