6 PSI Boost

85.5 fuel leak at rail....

Hi guys, my fuel leak saga continues. Leak has been occurring near the # 2 / 3 intake valley. Re / re the injectors (all new o-rings and pintle caps, 3 injectors tested and serviced, 1 replaced with rebuilt unit) and new fuel pressure reg. Install went smooth, no leaks upon initial start up and road test. Car ran great (had 1 bad injector originally, now all 4 are 100%). Drove the car to work last night, got home, could smell fuel again. Popped hood, noticed fuel at the #2 / 3 intake valley again. Could the rail have a crack? Did not disconnect the 2 plastic fuel line connectors when the re / re was done. Could the leak be happening at the fuel line connections and making it's way down the rail? Will investigate further this weekend, but may be in need of a used / new rail and or fuel line o-rings (if they are even used there)..Your thoughts / advice greatly appreciated

SVO's: 86 1C
    Hard to believe the weld between the injector bell and rail would crack, but it is possible. Did any of the bell's get damaged (i.e.- out of round) that could be causing the leak? Since your o-rings are new, shouldn't be that...but don't completely scratch that one from the list. I had a brand new o-ring leak on me once. One of the o-rings in the fuel line connectors to the rail could be leaking and the fuel would run down the rail over to the intake. Could be a weeping from one of the injectors too. It will just take some time to watch the system to see if you can spot the source of the leak, nothing easy unfortunately.

The leak may only happen when you increase fuel pressure (i.e.- during boost) and not at idle. You can simulate the higher pressure by disconnecting the regulator and hooking up a pressure tester and apply some pressure to the regulator.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    Hi svono50, yes I agree with the rail being cracked may be uncommon, but looks like it has happened to others before, so I will check closer in that area as well. All the injectors seemed to seat well into the bells (good resistance and a pop when they seated) and I didn't notice any deformation and cleaned all the holes with q-tips...so hopefully OK there. New fuel pressure reg installed cleanly, used some Loctite PST on the 3 bolts just because. Will check closely once I've cleaned everything again, at the injector bodies and the rail to be sure. I'm also thinking the plastic duckbill connectors at the rail could be suspect as well (I'll start there to make things easy on myself lol). Great point on the pressure increase, I'll keep that in mind when I'm testing the system this weekend Thanks!

SVO's: 86 1C
    The duckbill clips are only there for keeping the hose connector onto the rail nipples, they don't do anything for sealing the connection. That is what the o-rings inside the connectors are for. Luckily (knocking on wood) I have never had to fiddle with those o-rings, but I have read about having to change them and that job does not sound fun with them tucked up in the connectors. Hopefully the leak will reveal itself so you can fix it.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86 1E
    Replacing the whole connector isn't that bad and solves the problem.
    Bruce

SVO's: 84 U3
    Ford used to have a service part to replace the section of the hose. I had to do it on my 84. If I remember correctly you have to heat shrink it with a heat gun.
    PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

6 PSI Boost
    Looks like the leak(s) are coming from injector #2 and #3, at the base where they go into the intake manifold. #2 was replaced with an Autoline remanned unit and #3 was part of the original set that I had tested and serviced. Install went smoothly (all o-rings and pintle caps were new), manifold-to-injector holes were cleaned and oiled before installation, so I assume that part is fine. Just ordered a new set of 4 Standard FJ20's from Rockauto now. I think / hope this will fix the problem. Anyone else used these injectors before?

Thanks again!