Just a bit of BOOST

Idles like a Kitten but thats it.

Folks,I have been on and off this forum in line with being on and off in my storing of my 84 since the 80s. I seem to have the bug again. The problem I am having is one that I have not seen before and one that I think needs the help of the experts out there. A few years ago my car seemed to have a clutch that was slipping. It would only produce so much power then it would just rev. I had the clutch replaced and was told there was not a mark on it but the problem seemed to go away. Last year the same problem started to happen again. I brought it to the FORD dealer and they replaced the distributor cap and replaced some aged wiring but it never really addressed the problem. They said it was not the clutch as the clutch seemed good and they would need to do more investigation. I drove it home...What has happened since then is the car will not drive. It idles perfect and revvs perfect for as long as I want but will not drive. As soon as it goes into gear (F or R) it looses power and sputters and dies. If I put it back in neutral it idles perfect and can easily rev with consistent throttle. I do not want to take it anywhere until I know the solution. I have been at this game on and off for a long time. Gas seems good in it, plugs are clean, can't hear any air leaks, not a turbo issue, but it just wont run in gear.Any thoughts GlennHalifax, Nova Scotia

SVO's: 86 1C
    Glenn, welcome back to the forum and your 84!

So when there is no load on the engine it seems to run fine, but as soon as you load it up (i.e.- start letting out the clutch) it falls on its face...correct? If so, I would start by checking your corrugated VAF to turbo hose. There is a support wire that belongs inside that hose to prevent it from collapsing and it has been known to go missing on some SVO's. Usually the cars will putter around OK without it, but when you put your foot into the go-fast pedal, it will collapse and choke the engine. If that is OK, then I would look at the flapper door in the VAF to make sure it is free to move and not have anything jammed in it. Next item on the list is your fuel pressure to make sure it is reacting properly (i.e.- going up with less vacuum/boost).
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Just a bit of BOOST
    Thanks Ted. I will start with your list and get back to everyone. It seems to get enough gas /air /spark when in neutral and it can hold high RPMs for as long as I want but in gear it dies. That is its current state but before that it would simply over rev under load (like a slipping clutch) at anything above throttle feathered 30 MPH in 2nd gear. Now I have a few places to start. Thanks

Just a bit of BOOST
    Does it still have a catalytic converter? Might be clogged.

Also check the TPS has a full range. Dead spots might make the computer think the throttle isn't where it really is.

SVO's: 86 1E
    Have you run codes? Seems most of these things would show up if that is the problem. FWIW I would check the intake hose and fuel pressure first.
    Bruce

Just a bit of BOOST
    Thanks for the input and ideas. Intake and fuel pressure are on the list to check. I also need to dig out my code reader. It was done at the dealer and it did not show anything so I doubt there is anything new, but worth a shot. I need to eliminate from the list of suggested fixes anything that could or should cause a problem with idling and revving in neutral as that all works fine.

SVO's: 86 1C
    Eliminating any codes would be a good start and as you mentioned, it may not reveal anything.

I was approaching it based on your description and trying to consider what would trigger the EEC that there was a load being applied to the engine. Our systems are pretty 'simple' compared to today's cars, so there aren't a lot of sensors to tell the EEC what is going on. The main sensor to indicate load is the VAF, which is why I zoned into that area. Since the engine seems to rev fine w/o any load, it sounds like the TPS is giving good signals back to the EEC. If the VAF isn't freely moving, the EEC can't properly enrich the engine with fuel...leading me to a fuel supply issue. If the low pressure in-tank pump is going out/dead, the high pressure pump won't be able to supply sufficient fuel sucking through the low pressure carcass. If the high pressure pump is dying/dead, the engine likely won't run. Again, fuel pressure to see what is going on. That is at least my logic path on this one, whether correct or not...
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Just a bit of BOOST

Thanks

I agree and plan to start looking just as you suggested. I will update.Thanks

SVO's: '86 2R
    You say the car has been in and out of storage. How old is the gas? Do they use ethanol-diluted gas in Canada? If so, and if the gas is alcohol-free but old, the gas could be very suspect. With no load, they can run pretty well, but have zero power, or not even run under load.

If the gas doesn't smell like gas, replace it.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas