Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SVO's: 86 1C

Things to do BEFORE the Reunion...

Surprised nobody has started anything here just yet. This one is something we ALL likely have some input on.

My project list is:

1. Finish rebuilding my 8.8, which will end up including a new diff (long story), new axles/bearings/seals, diff/pinion bearings/seal, creating a standoff to finally mount my brake line bracket to and moving the driver's side brake line bracket (it was making contact with my shock!?!).
    2. Installing a UPR upper control arm reinforcement kit.
    3. Cleaning off as much rear gear oil off the belly from the front pinion seal leak as I can.
    4. New set of Stillen metal matrix brake pads.
    5. Fresh flush of Motul RBF600 brake fluid.
    6. 'Flipping' my tires on my rims (inside/outside), so I can get one more season out of the 'ol RE-71R's before moving over to a set of A052's...we shall see how this works.

That should be it, unless I run into something else over the summer months...knocking on wood!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    I need to
    #1 finish wiring my new power access box
    #2 tune,
    #3 tune,
    #4 tune ,
    #5 TIRES
    #6 possible Stinger sequential injector upgrade
    #7 possible intercooler swap (spearco vs air to water current setup)
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Well, I have made some progress on my project list above to the tune of the first 3 items...the rear diff/axles are in and all within specs...wahoo!! The upper reinforcement kit is in and the floorpan has been cleaned of 90%+ of the muck the rear pinion seal slung onto it. Once bolted back in, then onto the new pads, fluid and tire flipping.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Axles - Bearing Land_Dutchman_02.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	46522 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Upper Torque Box Reinforcement - UPR_Chassis_general.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	46523 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Upper Torque Box Reinforcement - UPR_Inside_passenger.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	46524

Name:	Upper Torque Box Reinforcement - UPR_Under_driver.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	46525 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Upper Torque Box Reinforcement - UPR_Inside_driver.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	46526 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Upper Torque Box Reinforcement - UPR_Inside.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	46527
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86 1E
    Smart move doing the reinforcements. Sure looks clean under there.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Smart move doing the reinforcements. Sure looks clean under there.
    Your experience taught me that I needed to get them in sooner than later!! There is still plenty of grease hiding in that pic, but much, much less that when I started...you couldn't see ANY gray on the floorpan. Funny how well that slung gear lube protected the factory finish
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Well I can add to this list. I need to figure out why my car doesn't want to start cold.
    Bruce

Well, after further inspection and some calculations, I can scratch #4 off my list and put the new pads up on the shelf for a later date. Based on my pad wear I don't need new pads for a while, but now they are in my garage inventory for when I do need them.

I actually completed the rest of my list and got the car back down on the ground...HURRAY!! I also got a chance to take it for a short 12 mile spin last night and WOW is it a lot quieter!!! Cruising @ 55mph on a local road, I could actually hear some faint gear whine from my tranny and some wind/road noise...NOTHING from the rear end. I believe I could hold a conversation at normal talking levels too. Before the rear end rebuild, it was just a constant howling from the back end at virtually all speeds, especially at highway speeds. Even with a full rod end rear control arm setup it was quiet...whew! I checked under the car tonight and everything is still dry (pinion and axles), so the seals are doing their duty. It was a lot of work getting it done, but I should be set for many, many seasons now.

I am sure the axles were the main source for the noise...can you guess which one was the loudest? The c-clip ends are also showing some pretty good heat marks too...maybe from those track days, eh?? The c-clip pads had actually started to mushroom out and had a good burr around the perimeter of the button along with a decent wear mark in the diff pin. They can now be retired and metal recycled.

Name:	Axles - Bearing Land_OEM_02.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	46534 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Axles - Bearing Land_OEM_03.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	46535 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Axles - C-clip Land_OEM_01.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	46536 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Axles - C-clip Land_OEM_02.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	46537
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

To follow up on the cold start issue it helps to have enough fuel to get it to light off I guess.
    I can see what you are saying that axle looks a little rough.
    I am doing new weather striping on my hatch and want to replace the hatch corner bumpers anyone have a source? The hatch hits the body over big bumps. Hoping new weather strip will help support it.
    Last edited by Bruce; 08-25-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Bruce

Not only were the axles shot, the spider gears (see below) look like they had been through hell and back...maybe by the prior owner of the 8.8, as the ring/pinion gears didn't show any abnormal wear. It looks like those spider gears saw some shrapnel floating around in the housing at some point prior to my ownership. That is why I decided to drop in the Eaton unit I had sitting under my workbench for the last several years.

In any case, all 6 items on my list are complete! I now have ~400 miles on the car the rebuilt rear end and things are still nice and quiet. The 800 mile road trip down to Birmingham will be its first long-term test, which I now feel shouldn't pose any issues (knocking fiercely on wood).

Bruce, the rear hatch seal will help some, but those bumpers do the majority of the work to prevent any 'bounce' of the hatch. I haven't had to purchase any rear bumpers, so my best guess would be to check with Paul or Blue Oval Industries or LMR. Since they make replacement weather strips, I would think that the bumpers have to be out there too.

Name:	Differential - OEM_Posi_Spider-Gears_01.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	46670 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Differential - OEM_Posi_Spider-Gears_02.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	46671
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I ordered the weather strip but couldn't find the bumpers on any of the usual websites. Don't even know what they would be called technically.
    Bruce

Bruce, looks like they are know as hatch bumpers, at least what came up with a quick interweb search. Here are a couple links, one for just the bumpers and one for a kit with other items:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/hatch-bu...1990/p/HW1926/

https://www.cjponyparts.com/hatch-re...-1990/p/HBRK1/

I haven't seen these parts personally, so I can't speak for their quality, but it is one source.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Thanks Ted.
    Bruce

Was under the car today doing other things and found something to do before the reunion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190915_111944_resized[460]Driveshaft.jpg  
    Last edited by Bruce; 09-15-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    Bruce

At least you found it now and not on the trip down/up to the Reunion! Doesn't look horrible, but I am guessing you have had some driveline vibration. I replaced mine a couple seasons ago with the Moog 269 units, they are non-greasable and tagged as 'high strength' versions due to the lack of cross-drilling for the grease channels. For a whopping $10 each, how can you go wrong? Good luck with your project.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I can now state that my rear end rebuild is "track tested, track approved"!! Attended the track day at Blackhawk Farms Raceway (local to me) and had a blast with zero issues in my five 20-minute sessions. Rear end and diff performed flawlessly, kept quiet and really dug in and hooked coming out of the corners. Took me a couple of sessions to get my track bearings on that course again, since it has been 10 years since I ran there.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4