Thread: Door Help

6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 85 1/2 Black SVO

Door Help

Hello SVO friends. I picked up what was supposed to be a pre-87 set of doors for my Car. Car is in paint and they are close to reassembling the doors. The issue came up that the hinges welded to the door are not the same as what was on the 85.5 SVO. I had not noticed this before. Does anyone recognize what year this would be from? It does not appear to have a way to mount the roller mechanism to it. I was wondering if that extra piece of metal is what would have been used in place of the roller in early Mustangs. The pictures of the painted hinges are top and bottom on the same door. Also put a picture of the roller hinge on the existing. Now part two. These were manual doors before. I need to install the electrical in them. Does anyone have a guide somewhere on how to trip the doors to mount the power mechanism and associated bits? I know I saw a thread on it at one point. Thought it was here but cannot find it again. Thanks for the help in advance! Getting close to having one more back on the road!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4679.jpg   IMG_4677.jpg   IMG_4676.jpg  

SVO's: 86 2A wing delete
    That's an early door, 79-82. Make sure the inside door handle isn't on the bottom.
    Last edited by lhmstang; 10-06-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    Lee

6 PSI Boost
    Thanks for the info! I did eventually figure that out. They thing that sucks is the body shop painted the doors before double checking them. So now I'm not really sure I can use them. I'm wondering if they could take those hinges off and weld the original ones off the SVO on. Then again I'm wondering if I'd be better off just getting another set of doors and starting from scratch?

SVO's: 86 1C
    I am sure you can adapt those 79-82 doors into the 83-86 configuration, but it will take some cutting/welding to do so from your original doors. I ran into a similar issue when I had my car repainted back in 98, since the only Fox doors available from Ford were 87-93 doors. My body shop guy cut out the appropriate parts from my original doors and patched them into the new doors...luckily the hinges were a match between those door sets.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    can you skin your old doors using the skins from the new ones? That might be a solution. Would require a repaint, though. :-/
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    What about swapping the hinges on the A-pillar to match the doors?
    86 SVO 1C

6 PSI Boost
    Little update on this. I spent a good week trying to find a set of new doors. Figured I'd just eat those and chalk it up to experience. Called the shop yesterday to discuss this option and they tell me they cut the inner panel off the SVO doors and hinges as well, then welded them to the doors I had. Surprised me as I had asked about that before and they seemed apprehensive about it. I guess they figured it out and are telling me it looks great. The shop does some really good work so I'm confident it probably worked out fine. Going to stop by there today to take a look. Supposed to be done with paint by the end of the week!

SVO's: '86 2R
    Good news, but it's already the end of the week!

EVERY body shop I've ever dealt with, even good ones, when they said it would be done 'by this Friday', that usually meant the next Friday, at best. =8-0

But one week is tons better than endless 'it'll be done this Friday' conversations.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas