Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    6 PSI Boost

Front lower ball joint wear indicators / boot replacement

Hi guys,

Just in the process of replacing my worn / torn / sticking front lower ball joints on my 85.5. I am sourcing a pair of used replacement original lower control arms and joints, but did not realize these ball joints had wear indicators built into them. I will be checking my original installed joints and the replacements ones when the arrive to see how they appear. Will also try to "service" them as pointed out in an earlier thread on here, but will need to source replacement joint boots. Any thoughts on who / where to get them from? Is Paul from SVPV still around? Or how about the mentioned Prothane boots?

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthrea...ear+indicators

Thanks!

Yes Paul is still here and selling parts, here is the part number Energy Suspension 9-13126G
    Kendal Coker

SVO's: 86 1C
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendal Coker View Post
    Yes Paul is still here and selling parts, here is the part number Energy Suspension 9-13126G
    Kendal, that ES kit is the same application as the Prothane #191716 kit I used and will be a bit loose. The ES boot dims are 0.900/2.125/1.100", which are oversized compared to the stock ball joint. Not that it wouldn't work, as my car is proof of that, but I think the Prothane #191835 is a better option. Paul could probably confirm what kit he sells...Paul??
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

6 PSI Boost
    Excellent, thanks for the help on that guys! I will contact Paul next..

SVO's: 86 1C
    I would give Paul a shout first, being he is a supporting vendor. He can sometimes take a while to respond since he is usually running around like a long-tailed cat in a rocking chair factory, but will get back to your. Mention the club/forum, it does help him prioritize sometimes

If you would rather source them north of the border, I believe the items are Prothane #191835. The stock ball joint has the following measurements: 0.892" pin diameter, 1.930" base diameter and 1.310" height. The Prothane #191835 boot has the following dims: 0.800/1.800/1.450", so a little stretch and squish and you are good to go. The manufacturer's all state to get the boot that has slightly smaller diameter dims and taller height than the measured components to ensure a nice tight fit/seal.

My records show I used a Prothane #191716 dust boot kit (pics in that linked thread). That boot's dims are 0.910/2.150/1.100". Based on that, it is no wonder I found them to be a little 'loose', so do as I say and not as I do...
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4