Thread: Lower Door Skin

12 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 1986 1D

Lower Door Skin

I have a lower driver side lower door skin that I bought 6 or 7 yrs ago. It is a little rusty from sitting out in the shed so I was thinking of getting a new one but can not seem to find any. I looked on different sites and came up blank. Only one on ebay was the only one I came up with.

I was wondering if these are discontinued?

I also noticed in the lower front and rear corner of the lower skin there seems to be a little "kerf" cut that seems like it may not possibly cover the lower corners by a "hair".

Just seems kind of weird that upon searching the web and coming up so empty....

Any thoughts?

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    I've never known of just a lower outer skin / patch panel for the door(s).

I have an NOS complete door shell. I've seen full quarters, roof skins, and tail light panels before. Never sectional sheet metal. Maybe I just missed that.

12 PSI Boost
    I will post a few pictures tomorrow and I think it may even have a part number sticker on it.

Quote Originally Posted by scenario View Post
    I will post a few pictures tomorrow and I think it may even have a part number sticker on it.
    Interesting. I know that at least some of the NOS parts being sold these days were damaged at some point and were set to the side at a dealership of body shop. Some may have minor manufacturing defects that failed original QC but were still good enough not to be scrapped.

The door I have was apparently damaged in shipping somehow. The bottom trailing corner is curled under a little. By today's standards a fairly easy fix. But back then would have cost a body shop extra time / money to fix when a replacement was easy enough to come by.

It looks like the box was probably dropped on the corner just hard enough to bend it around.

Just because something is "NOS" does not guarantee it is perfect. Captain Obvious reporting.

SVO's: 86 1C
    When we had my wife's 86 GT repainted back in 1998 and addressed some rust issues on the door and trunk lid, my body guy had to go with a full trunk skin, but had access to just the lower skins below the trim line. No idea if they were Ford or aftermarket, but they looked good from the outside. I didn't pay any attention as to how the corners on the inside, sorry. Sounds like the relief cut in the corner may have been a hair too deep/wide or possibly the bends weren't quite in the right spot. I would think that you could address the issue when you get them in place with some welding.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    They used an aftermarket patch panel for the lower right corner behind the rear wheel on our 86 when the body work was being done. They had to use the entire rear quarter section I had for the left side, but were able to get a patch panel for the right side, so I still have that whole quarter as a spare (I never hope to use).

He didn't say anything about having fitment problems with it, but we didn't talk much.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

12 PSI Boost
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200112_093301.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	46944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200112_093306.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	46945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200112_093332.jpg 
Size:	281.0 KB 
ID:	46946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200112_093200.jpg 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	46947

Looks good. Rust isn't bad and nothing an orbital sander won't knock out in a few passes. Then spray on some good self-etching primer and it will be OK.

SVO's: '86 2R
    Aren't those kerfs there to allow you to fold the front, bottom and rear edges over the inner door panel flange? Haven't looked at that part of the door, but I thought they were assembled by folding the outer edges of the outer door skin over a flange of the inner door panel and glued welded or leaded in to seal the joint.

That kerf would keep a big thick fold from existing in the corners. Just a thought.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas