12 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 1D

New Gas Tank??? Recommendations

Any one have recommendations for a replacement fuel tank? 1986 Mustang SVO?

Is it the same as a 5.0 EFI tank?

Thanks

FV

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2

SVO's: 86 1C
    Same tank as far as I know, should also be the same as the 87-93 models as well.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I buy the cheep ones off of e-bay and they have worked fine, like Ted said they are the same as 87-93.
    Kendal Coker

6 PSI Boost
    In the middle of doing fuel tank work to my 85.5. I discovered it has a Spectra brand tank in it. Seems to work and fit fine..

12 PSI Boost
    Yes, I agree to all of what has been said. I found one on ebay that has new straps and a lifetime warranty. I bought an ebay one for my 56 Pickup truck that was perfect fit and has been just fine. I am going to go with this one I think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-4-Gallon...i/231115636822

12 PSI Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by scenario View Post
    Yes, I agree to all of what has been said. I found one on ebay that has new straps and a lifetime warranty. I bought an ebay one for my 56 Pickup truck that was perfect fit and has been just fine. I am going to go with this one I think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-4-Gallon...i/231115636822

I installed this fuel tank today. It was identical in dimensions and specifications of my original stock tank. My old tank had a pinhole right near the sending unit that would only leak on a full tank. At least I have peace of mind now and no more gasoline odor. I tried to use the straps it came with but I used the original ones (they were still serviceable). The new ones were just too much of a struggle to get the bolts started so I gave up in disgust. I prob could have got them to work but I was working alone. Any way all done, now on to the next project....(blower motor :-((

SVO's: '86 2R
    It does help to have another set of hands for that task. They don't even need to be strong hands, just there to stabilize things as you wrangle the tank/hoses/wires/straps into place. I balanced a piece of plywood on a floor jack, and then the tank on that when I did ours. My codriver was also present for most of the install to help adjust things into place. Should have probably used our transmission jack, but I didn't think of that at the time.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

My wife didn't want to be anywhere near me when I was removing/installing my tank...figured she would at least stand there holding the fire extinguisher In any case, I used some non-ratcheting straps to slowly lower the tank down to the ground and used my jack as an emergency backup to prevent too quick of a drop. I then was able to use the straps in reverse to stabilize the load as I raised it up by hand a little at a time on each side. It ended up making the job pretty darn easy compared to the first time I did it.

FV, glad to hear the new tank went in without any issues. Bummer that the new straps gave up a fight and ended up staying on the sidelines. Good luck with your next project and let us know how it goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel_03_tank removal.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	46980
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Heh, when we did ours, I don't think any gas that was still in the tank was even flamable anymore! It smelled like rancid terpentine and was the color of tanned leather.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Now that would have made things almost easy! I had a full tank and had to siphon out ~5 gallons to get it below the filler hole, so at ~10 gallons I had an additional 63 lbs or so added to the tank's own weight...just to keep things challenging...
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I would have siphoned more out, but even then, there would have been two of us there, and an extinguisher nearby. I had similar fun with our 95 SS when the pump died. Got a lot out, dropped it, installed an updated pump, raised it back in place, threw a few gallons of gas in it, discovered it didn't work, drop the tank with most of the fuel still in it, discover the freaking pump vendor wired the pump backwards!! Put everything back together and it's been working fine ever since.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

12 PSI Boost
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    My wife didn't want to be anywhere near me when I was removing/installing my tank...figured she would at least stand there holding the fire extinguisher In any case, I used some non-ratcheting straps to slowly lower the tank down to the ground and used my jack as an emergency backup to prevent too quick of a drop. I then was able to use the straps in reverse to stabilize the load as I raised it up by hand a little at a time on each side. It ended up making the job pretty darn easy compared to the first time I did it.

FV, glad to hear the new tank went in without any issues. Bummer that the new straps gave up a fight and ended up staying on the sidelines. Good luck with your next project and let us know how it goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel_03_tank removal.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	46980

I actually did pull out the Blower Motor last night. I wanted to say that in a stark contrast to all the nightmares I read about online that is was really very simple to remove without taking the dash apart. As a matter of fact it was so easy that after bench testing the unit (and finding nothing wrong with it and could not duplicate the bearing noise) I chose to reinstall it without replacing it. Seems to be functioning normal now but prob after another freezing day or 2 it will prob start making noise again. I would say that it took me 15 min to remove.

remove the following:
    glove box
    vacuum door motor hose
    right side dash to cowl bolt
    right kick panel
    upper mounting bolt/screw (on rt side of hvac)
    2 nuts holding bottom together
    1 screw/bolt that is behind the vacuum door motor
    disconnect the plug for the motor

Thats about it and wiggle and pull down.

Anway not to hijack my own thread....sorry!

When I did replace the fuel tank it was over half full and I jumped the diagnostics pin to ground which allows the fuel pump to run when the ignition is in the "on" position. I disconnected the fuel hose and ran it into a gas can. Worked good but I advise EVERYONE to use extreme caution when dealing with gasoline and especially when you are jumping wires to make the pump run. Have a fire extinguisher handy and make sure the garage door is open, just in case you have to make a run for it....

Quote Originally Posted by scenario View Post
    <snip>
    When I did replace the fuel tank it was over half full and I jumped the diagnostics pin to ground which allows the fuel pump to run when the ignition is in the "on" position. I disconnected the fuel hose and ran it into a gas can. Worked good but I advise EVERYONE to use extreme caution when dealing with gasoline and especially when you are jumping wires to make the pump run. Have a fire extinguisher handy and make sure the garage door is open, just in case you have to make a run for it....
    ^^^Now that there is sage advice for sure!! I thought about using the pump, but siphoned by hand to avoid any potential electrical sparks. I did have the garage open, a couple extinguishers close by and let my better half know what I was up to so she would have an idea what any frantic action/noises would be from.

Glad to hear the good news on the blower motor, hopefully it behaves itself now.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 84 9W, 85 1B
    When I siphoned the gas from my tank, I used a length of old air line with the male end of the quick connect on the end. The hose was very flexible and the quick connect end allowed enough weight to let the end to drop to the bottom of the tank. It took a while, but got about 8 gallons out.
    Perry Mitchell
    SVOCA#187