Thread: Steering issues

6 PSI Boost

Steering issues

I recently purchased a 84 SVO with 80k miles. I figured out the inner tie rods are shot. Ive been researching online, does non-SVO fox body inner and outer tie rods fit the SVO ?
    Also.. if I end up needing a steering rack what are my choices for a 84 ? Thanks for any help...

SVO's: 86 1C
    From what I know, the inner/outer tie rods are 'common' to all other Mustangs and many other Fords. Note that I have not (knocking on wood) had to replace mine on my SVO just yet.

Steering rack is a whole 'nother story. Do some searching on here to find what others have done. While our racks are the same ratio as the 5.0L variants, the internal valving is different to give a different 'feel' to the steering effort. Unfortunately it seems that all the rebuilt racks out on the market appear to be rebuilt using a 'Lincoln' style valve setup, which gives a very over-boosted feel to the steering. Some folks suggest to have your original rack rebuilt by a local place, if possible, but I am guessing that is not a common option to most folks. Hopefully someone on here can chime in with a happy ending/solution.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    The inners are the same for all fox bodies, the outers for the SVO were longer and that is where the track width difference is made up. I don't know if that is still the case. Looking at the Advance Auto site, they have the same for both. Maybe they went with the SVO length and the GT guys just thread it deeper onto the inner.
    Last edited by GAboySVO; 03-12-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 86 1C
    Mike, that is what I found with both inners and outers, all the same across all 82-93 Foxes, which is different than I remember too. Only spec I could find on the outers was from Moog and they list the distance from the stud centerline to the inner end of 5.850", FWIW. Not sure if that matches our OEM size or not, since my SVO is sleeping a few doors down the street in a neighbor's garage for the winter.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    What Ted said! I believe we went with an AGR Cobra R 'high effort' rack when replacing the leaking rack on our 86. The ratio seems about the same, but it's definitely a different feel, lighter effort, than the OEM unit. Since we still have the original rack, we may send it in to AGR to get it rebuilt, but just haven't gotten that far with it yet.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas