4 PSI Boost

Premium Sound Radio Display

I'm doing some debugging on my factory Premium Sound radio, concerning the vacuum fluorescent display. It stopped working shortly after the car was new, some 30 years ago.

The display itself seems to be just fine and has not lost vacuum, so it has to be a power issue. I am having trouble with the part numbers on the IC's in this unit, as they seem to all be labeled with a Ford part number instead of a common off-the-shelf number. This makes datasheet lookup, voltage requirements, and replacement difficult.

I've replaced the IC under the display with a NOS part, but that did not solve it. If anyone has a schematic or cross-reference for the parts in this thing, or just a general idea of the common failure point, I'd be interested to hear.

Thank you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0mqG2Va.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	47043

Name:	efd3Dqh.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	47044

4 PSI Boost
    Update:

As it turns out, I do have voltage going to the segments of the display, but I have 0 voltage at the cathodes on the ends of the display. This might end up being a simple fix if I am able to trace that back to the source. It will still be very helpful to have access to a schematic though!

Name:	2zEjgvh.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	47045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iCpQQep.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	47046

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a internal diagram for the radio. I am having a look tho.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

4 PSI Boost
    After doing some more testing, I applied power to the heaters of the display. I can get it to go dimly, but not enough to be legible with the faceplate back on. It would seem that the driver voltages for the individual segments are also too weak. I think for now I'll just pop it back in the car and enjoy it for what it is, because it still sounds just fine.

Name:	CdmdGJI.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	47047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2eMFNzQ.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	47048

SVO's: '86 2R
    Hmm, can you find a replacement face plate, pop the tinted window out and throw a clear one on? Sure, it's not 100% accurate, but I'd bet someone would prefer seeing the display, vs. some dim red lighting. But that's just me.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    sounds like you are a avid do-it yourself on the electronics... but there was a company out there that would repair older radios if you sent it to them.
    I've not done the search, but it's been mentioned a few times here. If you are interested in that, you might try searching, if you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I can dig it up.

Guess there's the off chance they might sell you (or maybe even give you) the internal wiring diagram too... worth a shot maybe
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    Props to you for digging into the radio to the depth that you have...you obviously have danced with pixies in the past.

Another route you may be able to pursue is see if you can find a local shop that repairs electronics and/or automotive stereos...not the stereo install shop, the kind that actually repair. Many moons ago, I talked with a local dealership's parts counter and they pointed me to a local shop that they used for repairing stereos, which was buried deep in a little industrial park. I would have never found it on my own and they did a great job refurbishing my stock unit that is still working great.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86 1C X2
    RT Grimm used to do it in Pittsburgh, but I don't think they touch the older stuff anymore. There is a guy that goes to Columbus for the Ford swap (not this year's spring meet) that has rebuilt one's for sale. Not sure of his name or have his number.