Thread: Fuel Gauge INOP

12 PSI Boost

Fuel Gauge INOP

I picked up my 84 yesterday after having the engine rebuilt and new clutch installed from my friend that did the labor. I drove it about 45 min home and made a quick stop and after leaving i noticed my fuel gauge wasnt working. It was working before i made the stop so something just quit, broke, etc. What do I need to remove the fuel lines and what if any replacement parts do I need ?
    Ive read.. its very common the fuel sending unit goes out on these cars ? My fuel tank has a pin hole so long story short I need to replace the tank anyways. Is there anyplace else I could check to see why my fuel gauge isn't working ? I found this tank and sender kit on LMR but it shows for an 87-97 models will this work on my car ? What other misc parts will I need as far as fuel line clips etc.
    One last question.. my car has a walbro 255 already installed, should I go ahead and replace it while I have the tank out ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lrs-9002bk_6131.jpg  
    Last edited by pfmeeks1966; 05-17-2020 at 07:34 AM.
    84' SVO

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    There are no special tools needed for the fuel lines. simple plastic connector holds the connections together.

senders are around, but not cheap (make sure you get a pre-87 one), or they read backwards.

Far as the fuel pump, if it's not 'old' and still working, I'd probably reuse it.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

12 PSI Boost
    thanks for the reply eric. I ordered everything from LMR. Ill have to get some plastic connectors. Auto parts stores usually care them dont they ?
    84' SVO

SVO's: 86 1C
    Yes, most auto parts stores carry the replacement clips. I have some pics in my '17 years and counting' project thread if you are not familiar with the top of the tank looks like. You will need 2 styles, 1/4" for the return line and 5/16" for the supply line. Here are some pics to help identify them:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clips - Fuel Lines_Dorman_0.25.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	47160 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clips - Fuel Lines_Dorman_0.312.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	47161
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

12 PSI Boost
    Thanks so much for the pics that helps a lot !
    84' SVO

No problem, those are items you really don't want to have to reuse, as you never need a high pressure fuel connection popping apart.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

12 PSI Boost
    svono… do I need a special tool to release the lines and or the1/4 clips. I know the other clips just pull out.
    Last edited by pfmeeks1966; 05-19-2020 at 08:46 AM.
    84' SVO

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    the clips on the left I always popped out with a screwdriver, (just push in on each side) there may be a special too for it, but I've never used it.
    the clips on the right just pull out.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

^^^...what he said I generally us the tip of a flat blade screwdriver to press in each tab to release. You may have success with a pair of needle nose pliers to push both sides in at once too, depends on available room around the clip. Expect to 'fiddle' with it a bit till you develop a technique.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4