Thread: PCV & VC Vent

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SVO's: 85 1C, 85.5 1B

PCV & VC Vent

So I'm gonna attempt to hook up the PCV and Crankcase vent. PCV no problem to the intake. The crankcase vent to intake of turbo I'm a bit baffled. The turbo has been replaced, has a manual boost control now no extra hookups.. Can I just tee into the line on the volute of the turbo for the vent?
    -Eric
    85 1C, 85.5 1B
    10 GT Premium
    01 Jeep Wrangler

SVO's: 86 1C
    Unfortunately the answer is 'no' for that connection point. That is the pressure side of the compressor wheel and would pressurize your crankcase. When I installed my hybrid turbo (i.e.- no inlet elbow w/fittings), I ended up having a tube made with a small inlet bung for connecting to the valve cover feed. The tube splices into the intake line between the VAM and turbo to give it the same 'signal' as the original setup.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Ted, thanks. I was unsure on the original layout of stuff as it been awhile since I’ve played with an SVO or stock trim. Yeah I was thinking afterwards and was like that’s not gonna work. Anyway there is no fitting... I felt under there and was following the wastegate line, and it was getting dark too... Now as far as where to have that line, is there any “science” behind where it needs to be placed? Or as far as just having vacuum/negative pressure at the port is fine?
    Last edited by Erics SVO; 07-03-2020 at 07:53 PM.
    -Eric
    85 1C, 85.5 1B
    10 GT Premium
    01 Jeep Wrangler

I am sure there is some 'science' to the optimum position, but as long as you have a vacuum/negative pressure point you will be good. I don't have any issues with my tap between the VAM and turbo.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

What did you use for the connection to the inlet?
    -Eric
    85 1C, 85.5 1B
    10 GT Premium
    01 Jeep Wrangler

Below are some not so great pics of what I did, but should give you an idea. I used a piece of 3" exhaust tubing and had a welder at work weld on a little 1/2" piece of tubing (pointing straight down for my hookup).

The VAM has a 3" outlet and my hybrid turbo has a 3" inlet, so the orange high-temp silicone duct hose was pretty straight forward. I originally used 1-ply hose, but the exposed wire delaminated after a couple on/off maintenance cycles, so I upgraded to the 2-ply version that has a captivated (non-exposed) support wire and haven't had any issues. The high-temp duct hose was necessary due to melting holes in a non high-temp version during track day events. You can get the duct hose from either Aircraft Spruce (p/n: 05-30612) or Pegasus Racing (p/n: 52030). The duct hose isn't cheap, but it works great and hasn't melted in the 10 years I have been using it.

Setup with stock airbox:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turbo Inlet Hose - New Setup_01.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	47260 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turbo Inlet Hose - New Setup_02.jpg 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	47261

Setup with CAI:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine - Air Filter_CAI_SR Performance_Final Mounting_01.jpg 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	47259
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Excellent, thanks!
    -Eric
    85 1C, 85.5 1B
    10 GT Premium
    01 Jeep Wrangler

4 PSI Boost
    Some people have removed the factory system in favor for a vent to atmosphere. If you run a crank case vent to intake side of things, you will most likely have oil in your combustion chamber eventually (bad). Also if the pcv valve does not seal 100%, you will pressurize your crank case causing oil leaks like crazy every time the boost comes in. In a perfect world the factory system will work great, the crank case will have some vacuum on it at all times. The factory system was designed to hold vacuum not to flow air. But once the engine wants to breath some (blow-by or valve guides), the system will flow air and oil into the intake.