6 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 2R

To Jam or not to Jam, that is the Question!

Call me crazy, but I've decided to paint my car, on my own. My son talked me into it, he has a bit of experience (and I mean a bit), but he is out for the summer, so its a great father son project. I have a shop with appropriate space for a DIY booth, and there are few things I've ever shied away from learning and getting good at. I've got no false expectations about how much work its going to be. I'll be spraying base/clear.

Unfortunately, the car had to spend about 5 years outside, in the mountains, and the sun killed the already crappy factory paint. I have almost completely disassemble the car, and I'm at a crossroads. The original paint in the door jams and interior of the doors is gorgeous, but I do need to paint at least to the first bend (and around the corner of the door) to take care of the oxidized paint. In the Engine bay, I plan on painting the top ledge, or for sure the factory outline from painting with the fenders on will never be right. I am planning on removing the hatch, because I don't see how I could get the top seam done with it on.

I'll admit I'm intimidated at removing the doors. The thought of taking off the wire harness and feeding it through the door seems fraught with peril.

So, I know advice is easy with other people's time and money. should I mask off the good parts of the jams and doors and shoot the rest, or bite the bullet and pull the doors and do the whole thing?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NMTS1885.jpg   FVMG8819.jpg  

SVO's: '86 2R
    Personally, I'd do the jambs. I am NOT a painter, so had ours done, and they did the jambs, but with the doors still attached. They did a decent job. Don't forget to tape off all the door tags.

IIRC, they also did around the hatch with the hatch still installed, and again, did a decent job. I had provided a glass hood and hatch, which they also painted. My wife and I did the intalls on both items. Turned out nice.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    yeah, gotta do the jams!
    nothing looks nicer than popping the door opening, and seeing a beautiful jam...
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86 1C
    I will third the jams vote, but I had a shop do it for me. I replaced my doors and hatch at the time of the repaint due to the 'lovely' Chicago winters and road salt that the original owner drove in. Just keep in mind that the hatch is a lot heavier than it looks when you go to pull the gas shocks!! I give you and your son props for taking on the project, great Dad/Son time ahead.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    I will third the jams vote, but I had a shop do it for me. I replaced my doors and hatch at the time of the repaint due to the 'lovely' Chicago winters and road salt that the original owner drove in. Just keep in mind that the hatch is a lot heavier than it looks when you go to pull the gas shocks!! I give you and your son props for taking on the project, great Dad/Son time ahead.
    Indeed!! Even the fiberglass bolt-on is heavy w/o the shocks. Still trying to figure out a solution there, since the shocks mount to a thin point on the hatch that wouldn't survive with the 'glass version. We did retain the rear glass with the defrost element (actually managed to get a replacement so we didn't have to pull the one out of our steel hatch), so there is a fair amount of weight there.

IIRC, you can remove the bolts from the hatch hinges with the hatch lowered in place then get a couple of people on each side to lift the hatch off.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    Paint the jambs. You’re so close already with what you’ve already disassembled on your SVO. And you prob don’t have any rust to deal with.

You should be able to scuff and shoot after a good amount of masking. Another idea, you can use single stage urethane paint in the jambs and inside doors / underside of the hatch. This will save a bit on time and materials. Plus most peeps will never know the difference. Just make sure you mask the jambs and use a soft edge tape where the BC/CC meets the jambs.

Good luck and be sure to post progress pics.

JT
    86 SVO 1C