Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SVO's: 1986 1C, sunroof

New Member from Cape Cod

Hi, purchased a 1986 1C with cloth interior and sunroof in Mid May. Been on the forums ever since and then sent in my membership application which was just finalized.

I love fox bodies having owned them singly or multiply in one form or another continuously from approx. 1989 until selling my 1986 LX 5.0 in 2013 after 19 years of ownership. I was foxless during the intervening 7 years.

From the mid-90's I always knew I wanted an SVO someday and that day finally came. This one has 60,000 miles, super clean interior and exterior, all original except for sub frame connectors, lower suspension brace and some general maintenance replacement parts over the years. I have what appears to be all the receipts going back to the original sales receipt from Dick Masheter Ford in Columbus OH. This car spent time in OH, then CA and I picked it up from the previous owner near Philadelphia. Drove it home (some 350 miles) without a problem.

My other fox bodies over the years: 1984 Mustang L (2.3L 1 barrel carb with 3 speed auto), 1982 Mustang Coupe (4 Cyl, 4 speed manual) and the 1986 Mustang LX 5.0, 4spd auto with t-tops purchased in 1994 with 50,000 miles for $5,000 - put 110,000 on it during my ownership. Along with Mustangs, for fox bodies I've had 3 Fairmonts (all with the straight 6, 3 spd auto) and, although not mine, my father had a 1987 T-bird Turbo Coupe which was a show car for him with under 15,000 miles.

Along with driving it, my main interest is in keeping this SVO OEM and maintaining it myself as much as possible. So far I've only had to do a couple minor things: new radiator, new boost control vacuum lines/correct the boost control connections which were reversed, and replacing original halogen headlamp bulbs with LEDs. Next on the list is new speakers (no holes will be cut for sure - will just put in place of the stock ones) and the factory radio needs some bulbs replaced. I also wash it a lot (haha) by hand only. Just did clay bar followed by Turtlewax back to black treatment to prep it for the 4th of July.

Looking forward to learning more from and hopefully being able to contribute to SVOCA. Here is a pic just after the back to black treatment sitting next to my 1999 Expedition which got the back to black treatment first as a test run.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4610.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	479.4 KB 
ID:	47273
    Last edited by spt87a; 07-13-2020 at 11:54 AM.

SVO's: 86 1C
    Welcome to the club and yet another Fox! Looks like you found a very nice one to work with, hope we can help direct you to any solutions you may need...if you run into them.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by spt87a View Post
    Hi, purchased a 1986 1C with cloth interior and sunroof in Mid May.
    Congrats and welcome!! The car looks great!

Drove it home (some 350 miles) without a problem.
    You’re a braver man than I, LOL! Long trips with an SVO usually equire at least one of the following:
    1) Trailer
    2) AAA card

Along with driving it, my main interest is in keeping this SVO OEM and maintaining it myself as much as possible. So far I've only had to do a couple minor things: new radiator, new boost control vacuum lines/correct the boost control connections which were reversed, and replacing original halogen headlamp bulbs with LEDs. Next on the list is new speakers (no holes will be cut for sure - will just put in place of the stock ones) and the factory radio needs some bulbs replaced. I also wash it a lot (haha) by hand only. Just did clay bar followed by Turtlewax back to black treatment to prep it for the 4th of July.
    Sounds like a great plan! Make sure to post a thread in “Project Zone” with lots of pictures to keep us updated on your progress.
    "If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    Congrats and welcome!! The car looks great!

You’re a braver man than I, LOL! Long trips with an SVO usually equire at least one of the following:
    1) Trailer
    2) AAA card

Sounds like a great plan! Make sure to post a thread in “Project Zone” with lots of pictures to keep us updated on your progress.

Haha - I'll admit I did have that AAA came in handy the last week of June but I was local. Took it for state inspection about 20 minutes from home and it started acting up on the way back. Stalling, but would restart, no power to take off from from a stop, etc. Eventually stalled and was down for the count and needed that tow. Bad thin film module. Probably been 30 years since I had to install one of those and that was on one of my 4 cyl Mustangs as well. Never had it fail on the 5.0. Wonder if the 4 cyl location doesn't get as much air flow to keep it cool.

Anyway thanks for the compliments on the car - great new hobby and the this group is a big part of that.
    Last edited by spt87a; 07-14-2020 at 10:17 PM.

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Welcome, the shine looks great.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    haha SVO rules:
    rule #1, -- always keep a spare TFI
    rule #2, -- always keep a spare 'dogbone clutch cable'
    rue #3, -- when auto-x'ing if your accelerator pedal isn't on the floor, ask your self why not.
    rule #4 -- start back at rule 1
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

the well known PIA VIN guy Ken Potter's Avatar
    SVO's: 84,85,85.5,86x2
    Welcome to the club.

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    haha SVO rules:
    rule #1, -- always keep a spare TFI
    rule #2, -- always keep a spare 'dogbone clutch cable'
    rue #3, -- when auto-x'ing if your accelerator pedal isn't on the floor, ask your self why not.
    rule #4 -- start back at rule 1
    Heh, MANY years ago, we drove our SVO to a lunch with a another local SVO owner and his wife. Just a get-together to say 'Hi' and have lunch. When we were leaving, the car wouldn't start. Oddly, it's the ONLY time it's ever acted this way. I checked everything, but couldn't get it to light. Had it towed home.

One TFI module later, it fired right up! I have a spare in the spares box, but should probably have one and the proper torx bit to R&R it in our console compartment, but don't. There's a spare dog bone there, though.

I'll add Rule # 3.1 - When autocrossing, lifting off the accelerator does not mean letting off. Just enough lift to get the engine off boost is usually good enough to get the car slowed down enough to make your turn completed, but keeping the turbo spooled, is the quick way around the course in a SVO.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by gbeaird View Post
    I'll add Rule # 3.1 - When autocrossing, lifting off the accelerator does not mean letting off. Just enough lift to get the engine off boost is usually good enough to get the car slowed down enough to make your turn completed, but keeping the turbo spooled, is the quick way around the course in a SVO.
    We teach trail-braking in the advanced rules class.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

I did buy two TFI's so I have that spare

Not the best place to get to for the replacement but turning the distributor helped, just had to get it set back correctly then check with a timing light (also haven't used that in a LONG time haha).

BTW is it Thin Film or Thick Film?

SVO's: 84 1C, 86 2A, 16 GT
    Welcome to the site, I still feel like a nube here on the site. The family and I have spent many vacations at the National Seashore on the cape. I like the idea of an SVO bare essentials tool kit. Nice idea to list next to the tuneup parts.��

Thick Film
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster