SVO's: 1986 2A

Replacement A/C compressor?

Not sure where to post this but has anyone lost and air conditioner compressor lately and seen the prices of a new one? When I first replaced the compressor a few years ago, I found an OEM on ebay for about $100. Later, I noticed the price for an OEM compressor was up to $199. I thought about buying a couple of them but did not. Now the price for one of these "not so great" compressors is almost $600!

Has anyone located a reasonable compressor kit that replaces the old style with: A) something less expensive to replace; B) something that works as well? I have already converted to R-134a but kept all of the R-12 components from before the conversion. 1986 SVO, original owner, 68K miles on the clock.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck
    1956 Ford Thunderbird
    1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator
    1967 Mustang GTA
    1986 Mustang SVO
    Last edited by Chuck; 07-16-2020 at 11:20 AM. Reason: clarity
    <-Find the car; women: 0.001 secs, men: 2.4 mins.

4 PSI Boost
    I am in the same boat. I have thought of switching to a serpentine belt along with a newer style ac compressor. Maybe someone can point us in the correct direction. Thanks

SVO's: 86 1C
    Serpentine is the 'easy' part, but I haven't heard of anyone moving over to a different compressor. I had thought of looking into this, but got sidetracked on various other 'stuff'. My former '06 Subaru had a tiny little compressor on it that I thought would be small enough to tuck into the stock location, so I have to think there is something out there that could be retrofit into our cars...just needs time/effort put toward it.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Hose Wizard used to have a Sanden conversion kit; however, the former owner passed away and the business shut down. So it can be done, but you will have to figure out and build the brackets and hoses on your own.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

4 PSI Boost
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...zMcAukg9m1gU9o
    I would want to do a complete swap from a newer engine like this one from a 1994 Ranger 2.3. Is there any reason why something like this would not work? I have also seen some Rangers with the ac and alt swapped.

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    You will still need to have new hoses made. From the picture, the ranger evap location is more in the engine bay where the SVO's evap is under the dash. And you will need to modify the alternator, starter and battery wires.
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

SVO's: 86 1C
    The main issue with putting the A/C compressor in the alternator location on our cars is likely the distributor. That Ranger pic is of a DIS system, so no dizzy. Putting the alternator in the compressor spot would only involve some wiring mods, but nothing too complex. As Mike noted, from there you have the hoses to figure out.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I may just bite the bullet and go with the going price. It was 118 degrees yesterday (and that was at the airport); hotter where I live.

The bullet has been bitten; ACpartsguys.com, $549.00 with new clutch and 2-groove pulley.

SVO's: 86 1E
    What exactly did you order? Just a rebuilt stock compressor or what?
    Bruce

I ordered an OEM HR980 compressor and they included an OEM 2-groove clutch assembly. Mt existing clutch is still OK but now I'll have a spare as they are getting really hard to find. The HR980 is not rebuildable as the case is welded shut.

I saw an outfit up in Saskatchewan that made a conversion kits for the Sanders compressor but it is designed to fit a Ford Tractor and not necessarily an SVO. The market for creating a conversion kit for SVOs is probably, what, 4,000 units total population? Not a good investment in engineering time and effort. So, rather than save a nickel, I'll keep it original.