Thread: Shifter bushing

SVO's: 86 1E

Shifter bushing

My shifter is acting up. Doesn't want to go into 1st or 2nd when at a stop. I am going to replace the shifter bushing (cup) at the bottom of the shift arm. I see there is a bronze replacement available and wondered if anyone had tried it. Am concerned about vibrations through the handle. Any thoughts?
    Bruce

SVO's: 86 1C
    I still have the OEM plastic one in mine, but the bronze versions look pretty nice for a replace it and forget it kind of upgrade. I doubt the bronze cup would be any more 'buzzy' than the plastic version...at least that we would notice. It would be interesting to hear from someone other than an online review for feedback though.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    I had a friend make aluminum bushings for me, it's been in there for at least 10 years.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

I thought about making them out of aluminum but felt it was too soft-maybe not. The bronze would certainly be positive. My car is buzzy enough that's for sure.
    Bruce

SVO's: 86 1C
    I would think that the aluminum would hold up, but would wear quicker than bronze...depending on the grade of bronze. It would be good to get an oilite type bronze to keep things slick between the bushing and shifter tip. Looking through McMaster, there is the 932 Bronze that is flagged as for bearings, bushings or thrust washers and it isn't an expensive material...you would just need to get it machined to spec. Then again, it would be much easier to buy one ready made and likely cheaper in the end.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

I concur on the easier and cheaper in the end. They are not big money!
    Bruce