Thread: Turbo for my 85.5

14 PSI Boost

Turbo for my 85.5

Hi guys,

Might be needing a replacement turbo for my 85.5 (getting a slight whine sound, will be checking impellor condition). I have spoke with Charlie at Evergreen for his solution, but wanted to see if anyone on here may have another option that I could consider as well. Prefer to keep the original inlet / outlet mounting points, don't want to modify any of that. Turbo internal upgrades would be a plus

Thanks!
    85.5 1E in the house.

SVO's: 86 1C
    For your goal (i.e.- keeping the OD of the unit the same) your shortest distance between two points would be Charlie...unless you have a local shop that is familiar with modifying our turbos. There are several tricks that can be performed to the compressor and turbine wheels that will boost flow, nothing 'new' per se, as our turbo design has been around for many moons now. Last time I talked to Charlie he had several options to consider, just depended on what your end goal is for use/HP. Just my $0.02, so hopefully others will chime in.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 84 U3
    If you have some down time, I'd pull what you have and send it to Charlie. Had him do a couple of turbos over the years and ALWAYS been happy with his work and cost.
    Just my $0.02.
    PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    check hoses and stuff first, slight whine don't sound like anything serious,

The green 85 hertz car that's been owned by a few members here -- the turbo on that thing sounded like a air-raid horn!
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

14 PSI Boost
    Thanks for the info guys. Did an inspection of the impellor and the turbo intake housing and it doesn't look too bad. So will continue to monitor and replace later down the road....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201019_105307.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	47352
    85.5 1E in the house.

SVO's: 86 1C
    I think your compressor fins look better than mine did when I move to my hybrid unit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turbo - Compressor Wheel_T3_Stock 86.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	47355

Our OEM turbos were never quiet like modern day turbos are, so some whine shouldn't be a concern. I also drove that 85 Hertz once back in the day and it made my 86's turbo sound virtually silent...Eric isn't kidding!
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    well -- in the 'bragging rights category' -- I drove it in the rain, with original gator-backs (23 years old at the time) --- on the free-way!!
    A fair amount of pucker factor was involved!
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 84 U3
    Hey, I did that too. Not that many years on the tires but 12 years (with flat spots) was long enough, and drove it back from PA/NY border. Sucked in a big way!
    PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!