Just a bit of BOOST

LED Conversion Suggestions?

First post here
    I have a 1984 SVO and still have the stock halogens all around. I am looking to go full LED's for all of my lights (from headlights to turn signals) but I cannot find a good conversion kit. Does anyone know of a good kit, or should I replace them all separately? Either way can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find direct fit LED replacements? Thanks!

SVO's: 86 1C
    Welcome to the forums! I am sure there may be 'kits' out there for Foxes, but I built my own. Here is a link to my project thread that will give you all the items minus the headlights.

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthrea...counting/page2

I got all those bulbs from Super Bright LED's and they are still working fine, but not 100% certain they are all still available, since it was a few years ago. No need to add ballast resistors or the sort if you upgrade to an 'electronic' flasher module, which doesn't care about the load needed to flip a bi-metal spring, since there isn't one in an electronic flasher.

Maybe someone else on here can chime in with their bulbs/experiences, along with something that could replace the 84/85 halogens. Good luck.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    After trying a set of HID's that died after less than a year, I picked up a set of LED's from Paul @ SVPU.. so far, the look dang nice!
    Sadly, all that experience is with 85.5/86 type bulbs.

It might be worth the effort to email/call them to see if they have anything for the older style lights.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 2 - 9Ls
    Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
    '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
    '96 300ZXTT

Just a bit of BOOST
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    Welcome to the forums! I am sure there may be 'kits' out there for Foxes, but I built my own. Here is a link to my project thread that will give you all the items minus the headlights.

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthrea...counting/page2

I got all those bulbs from Super Bright LED's and they are still working fine, but not 100% certain they are all still available, since it was a few years ago. No need to add ballast resistors or the sort if you upgrade to an 'electronic' flasher module, which doesn't care about the load needed to flip a bi-metal spring, since there isn't one in an electronic flasher.

Maybe someone else on here can chime in with their bulbs/experiences, along with something that could replace the 84/85 halogens. Good luck.
    Thank you for all the info, your linked post really went into detail and the installation seems simple enough. Do you know if they will fit the same on my 84, I noticed yours was an 86. It looks like everything is identical save the headlights.
    Thank you so much!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SVOeric View Post
    After trying a set of HID's that died after less than a year, I picked up a set of LED's from Paul @ SVPU.. so far, the look dang nice!
    Sadly, all that experience is with 85.5/86 type bulbs.

It might be worth the effort to email/call them to see if they have anything for the older style lights.

I will look into that thank you!

Just a bit of BOOST
    Quote Originally Posted by GAboySVO View Post
    This kit looks very promising, I may order it soon!

SVO's: '86 2R
    Not sure if this will work for the headlights, but you might be able to acquire some Hella or Cibie' 4X6 headlight lenses and use LED H4 lights, which I think are what Paul has (the bulbs, not the lenses). Another place to look is J.W Speaker. They're not cheap, but I hear good things about them. I'm currently trying to find LED replacements for the 4 round headlights on or vintage motorhome, and not getting very lucky. The J.W. Speaker units look to be too thick, for me, at least.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    One thing I just thought about...I had an email conversation with Daniel Stern who runs a lighting consulting business many years ago (i.e.- late 90's, early 2000's?). He has apparently been involved with the automotive lighting world since at least the 80's, as in my conversations with him on improved lighting for my 86, he remembered the SVO's. When he asked if I had the recessed or flush headlights, I responded with the obvious to us, 'flush'. His response was, "Sorry to hear that." He noted that back then there were some 'good' options for the recessed headlight models and nothing much for our flush units. I think he noted that Cibie had some bulbs that performed much better than typical stock replacements. May be worth it to drop him a note and see if those options still exist. Here is a link to his website: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

14 PSI Boost
    Fox Resto also has an LED bulb kit available (I believe for the dash lights)...
    85.5 1E in the house.

SVO's: '86 2R
    Quote Originally Posted by svono50 View Post
    One thing I just thought about...I had an email conversation with Daniel Stern who runs a lighting consulting business many years ago (i.e.- late 90's, early 2000's?). He has apparently been involved with the automotive lighting world since at least the 80's, as in my conversations with him on improved lighting for my 86, he remembered the SVO's. When he asked if I had the recessed or flush headlights, I responded with the obvious to us, 'flush'. His response was, "Sorry to hear that." He noted that back then there were some 'good' options for the recessed headlight models and nothing much for our flush units. I think he noted that Cibie had some bulbs that performed much better than typical stock replacements. May be worth it to drop him a note and see if those options still exist. Here is a link to his website: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/
    That was the web site I saw that offered the Cibie' and Hella housings. Couldn't remember the name, though. When they were readily avilable, I used to run the Cibie' headlights in EVERYTHING I had. They were with the H4 halogen bulbs, though. Really nice lights! I can imagine them with a good LED bulb. I may go this route with our new to us motorhome, since it taked the 5-1/4" round lights. Gotta check for clearance behind the mount, though, since the LED headlight bulbs stick out ~3"-4" behind the bulb housing.
    Last edited by gbeaird; 11-18-2020 at 01:46 PM.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 2R
    I have the round 7" Cibie housings with H4 LEDs in my '63 F100. Lighting is awesome, good "ditch" illumination with excellent distance and sharp cutoff on the top to not bother oncoming traffic. Worth every penny!!
    "If there's no plan, what can go wrong...?"