SVO's: '86 2R

1986 MC cap and gasket?

Messed around in the shop this afternoon, mostly looking for stuff like the coil cover decal, etc. Got lucky and found them, so I just need to reference photos to see how they are installed on the cover.

While there, I tried to address the rusty, nasty master cylinder cap. I removed it, and then removed and cleaned the gasket. It came mostly clean, but the cap is probably going to take some major media blasting and then coating. Wondering if there were replacements out there, surely there are, I was kind of let down. The OEM cap has 4 cutouts to match 4 tabs to secure the gasket to it. All the replacement units have two notches to fit replacement gaskets with a tab at each end.

I have found a couple on evilbay, for $75-100 for the entire kit, master cylinder, cap and gasket, but am wondering if anyone knows where to get nice replacement caps that match OEM? Thanks.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    I have never looked for a replacement cap, but I am guessing they are going to be hard to find. I believe our cap only came in a 4-ear configuration. Looking for a replacement gasket a few years ago, I did run into 2 & 4-ear gaskets...but incorrectly listed for our master cylinder.

The INCORRECT gasket listed for our cars is the Dorman 42080, see pics below. How do I know they are incorrect...I ordered that one first and found out it isn't correct. The overall length of the gasket is correct, but the size of the front and rear sumps are not the same as ours, which is most obvious on the rear chamber indent size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gasket - Dorman_42080_01.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	47384 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gasket - Dorman_42080_03.jpg 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	47385

Name:	Gasket - Dorman_42096-42080.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	47386

The CORRECT gasket is the Dorman 42096, see pics below. This not only is the right size, it has the correct Bendix number molded into it, which is "2231593". Strangely enough, the incorrect gasket doesn't have any Bendix number molded into it. Plan on searching a bit for the 42096, they are becoming scarce these days. Considering my first gasket lasted 31 years, I am hoping the Dorman gasket will have a similar lifespan.

Name:	Gasket - OEM_Bendix_01.jpg 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	47387 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gasket - Dorman_42096_01.jpg 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	47388

Good luck with your search, but don't be surprised if you will just end up having to refurbish your OEM cap or switch to a slightly different version.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Thanks, Ted! Real PITA to look up, even when armed with the part number! Looks like it's NLA from Dorman, but I did find a few on evilbay motors, and have one on it's way. Searching for "Help 42096 Master Cylinder Gasket" on Amazon returned every random Dorman part EXCEPT 4096!
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

SVO's: 86 1C
    Trust me, I know all too well! I thought I had found 'it' with the 42080 and was completely bummed when I went to put it into the stock cap. I was ecstatic when I found the 42096 and then my heart dropped when I found Dorman disco'd it. There are still a few out there on various parts places, but not many. The 42096 missing two of its ears pictured above is my 'spare' gasket if the other one doesn't last as long as the original.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Yeah, definitely keeping the old one, and may make the new one the 'spare'. Don't know yet. We'll see how things look after the cap is cleaned Sadly, it seems the new caps all fit the two-tabbed gasket.
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas