Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    14 PSI Boost 1986SVOTURBO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Moorestown, NJ
    Posts
    89
    SVO's: 1986 SVO

    For the owners who have sunroofs, do they leak?

    I like sunroofs and I was curious how they were on the SVO if they are sealed properly do they leak?

  2. #2
    16 PSI Boost
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hampstead, Maryland
    Posts
    101
    My son in law has an '87 GT with factory sun roof. If the drain tubes are clear it won't leak. But his car has developed rust bubbles on the roof skin around the sun roof opening. His car has no rust anywhere else and requires a roof skin replacement. Rust bubbles on roof skins of fox bodies with factory sun roofs is a common problem so be on the look out for that issue.
    '88 LX Conv 5.0
    '88 LX Hatch 2.3T
    '86 SVO 1C

  3. #3
    14 PSI Boost 1986SVOTURBO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Moorestown, NJ
    Posts
    89
    SVO's: 1986 SVO
    Quote Originally Posted by oneowner88lx View Post
    My son in law has an '87 GT with factory sun roof. If the drain tubes are clear it won't leak. But his car has developed rust bubbles on the roof skin around the sun roof opening. His car has no rust anywhere else and requires a roof skin replacement. Rust bubbles on roof skins of fox bodies with factory sun roofs is a common problem so be on the look out for that issue.
    Thanks so much.

    I had sent you a pm. Did it make it there?

  4. #4
    12 PSI Boost spt87a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sandwich, MA
    Posts
    43
    SVO's: 1986 1C, sunroof
    86 SVO here - no issue with leaks. Years ago I had an 84 base model Mustang with sunroof (same design) and no issues with that either. The SVO rarely gets wet except for car washing though. On the potential rust issue - I'd suggest removing the glass yearly and inspecting around the inside edge for any trouble starting and nip anything in the bud.

    My 99 Expedition with moonroof thought -that's another story. The drivers side drain tube gets clogged up a lot and then it leaks like crazy - I keep a can of compressed air in the car to blow it out when needed. Pretty hard to push any thing thru it to clean it out due to a tight curve in the tube/hose but blowing it out works ok.

  5. #5
    16 PSI Boost
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hampstead, Maryland
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986SVOTURBO View Post
    Thanks so much.

    I had sent you a pm. Did it make it there?
    I replied yes.
    '88 LX Conv 5.0
    '88 LX Hatch 2.3T
    '86 SVO 1C

  6. #6
    16 PSI Boost
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hampstead, Maryland
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by spt87a View Post
    On the potential rust issue - I'd suggest removing the glass yearly and inspecting around the inside edge for any trouble starting and nip anything in the bud.
    Yes the seam sealer between the roof skin and inner roof frame can get compromised letting water get between the two pieces of metal resulting in rust starting from the inside out. By the time you see rust bubbles on roof skin its too late. Not all of them have the issue but it is quite common from what I have seen via google search.
    '88 LX Conv 5.0
    '88 LX Hatch 2.3T
    '86 SVO 1C

  7. #7
    14 PSI Boost 1986SVOTURBO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Moorestown, NJ
    Posts
    89
    SVO's: 1986 SVO
    Quote Originally Posted by oneowner88lx View Post
    Yes the seam sealer between the roof skin and inner roof frame can get compromised letting water get between the two pieces of metal resulting in rust starting from the inside out. By the time you see rust bubbles on roof skin its too late. Not all of them have the issue but it is quite common from what I have seen via google search.
    Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.

  8. #8
    18 PSI Boost bluemax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    La Grange, GA
    Posts
    374
    SVO's: 86 2R CP 86 9L CP
    Never had an issue with my old '86 2A . Originally sold new in Miami and then moved to Georgia (I was the second owner). It was well maintained and rarely saw rain though.

    As others have said, I have seen plenty of examples that didn't fare as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •