What is the difference between Koni Special (red) and Koni Sport (yellow)?

The KONI Special (red) has been engineered to maximize the ride comfort with good handling performance for each vehicle application. The KONI Sport (yellow) typically starts at a higher initial valving baseline to give a sportier feel and work on vehicles with higher performance parts. In some instances, KONI will only offer a Special or Sport valving and not both. Some modern cars come from the factory with higher tech suspension systems and wheel/tire packages so they would move directly into the Sport range, however they are still valved to give a comfortable ride with very good handling capabilities.

KONI Special (red or black). The KONI Special dampers are designed to offer the best compromise between road handling and comfort. If only a Special damper is listed, its adjustment forces are designed for all driving requirements.

KONI Sport (yellow). The KONI Sport dampers are designed for aggressive driving or cars with suspension upgrades while continuing to offer comfort. If a KONI Sport is listed as an alternative to the KONI Special, choose Sport for aggressive handling characteristics.

14 PSI Boost
    The most important reason for choosing the red or yellow version is what spring rates you have. Generally the reds are not adequate for higher rate springs and, if I'm not mistaken, the reverse is also true (I think a stock SVO is 375LB rate in front compared to a racecar of typically 700LB+).

But there's more to it than that. The right shock should match the frequency rate of the spring. When a spring compresses from a bump it will naturally spring back and forth in oscillation above and below the ideal position. The shocks are there to resist that tendency. Since stiff springs have a differnet frequency rate than soft springs one shock won't be ideal for both.

There is a lot of misunderstanding out there about Koni shocks. For example, the single adjustment style that came with SVOs only adjusts the valving for rebound not bounce (double adjustables are available on special order).

Also, most guys assume that if they're going to track the car, they should stiffen the adjustment. However, depending on the track and car, better handling might be achieved by softening the adjustment!

Konis are great shocks (and struts) but if they are working hard they will get very hot and can start to fade. If you track the car often, it is possible to where the fronts out in one season. I'm not certain but I think the yellows are also built to hold up better under racing conditions.

In case you think I'm being a smarty pants, consider that I finally switched to double adjustable yellows two years ago and still have no idea what the ideal setting is.