Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pat_In_LA's Trip Home

SVO's: 1986 1c

next time

Paul no big deal I figured being from NH you should be used to the cold. I didnt leave my table much due to the wind blowing everything off of it. I kept chasing the dist cap accross the parking lot.

I hope pat didnt need the reg either. I have fried a few over the years.
    Confucius says" a closed mouth gathers no foot"

SVO's: Several

OK, I'm in St. George Utah

Finally got the charging system fixed. It was the alternator. (THANK YOU, Paul Fisher!)

The local shop in (forgot the name of town in Colorado near Grand Junction, west of Denver) locked the car up in their shop overnight. Auto Club towed me there after they were closed but still hanging around drinking a few beers and unwinding. My kind of guys.

The mechanic there with the greasy baseball cap and several teeth missing said he'd replace the alternator and see if that fixes the problem. I suggested that he "full field" the alternator to quick test it before performing unnecessary labor. He looks at me and scratches his head "huh?". His partner replied that you can't do that to these charging systems with an integral regulator. I mentioned that this car does not have an integral regulator (not that you can't do that test on either style!), and that I have a new alternator in the back of the car. Then I went to the hotel for the night.

When I arrrive this morning, "Toofless" is yanking the alternator to send in to town for a bench test. I reminded him not to bother, opened the hatch and handed him the new alternator. The car was ready to leave at 9:35 AM. On through some light and heavy rain, to St. George where I'm bedding down for the night with some ex neighbors who moved here. Only a 5 hour drive to home now.

Worst mileage was in the highest altitude area of the trip. 232 miles on 10.6 gallons of the crap lower octane gas that they sell at these altitudes.

I got routed through a muddy detour today that requires me to do a cleanup on the car before eyelawdoc gets to see the car.

I expect to be home tomorrow.

(note: edited next day for Dewardly errors)
    Last edited by Pat_in_L.A.; 10-22-2004 at 01:02 AM.

did the toothless mec. have a water hose and saying that he always wanted to fix a transmission?

by the way I made it home safe and sound no hangups or glitches, although the only cazualty( no A in spelling for ME) was my map light on the way down. to big thing.

stopped by Larry from Rockford to say hi and let him know that this reunion was a blast.

glad to here everyone is making it home okey.

Bar

More Dewars just arrived.
    I'll sleep well tonight.

SVO's: None
    Pat - good luck on the remainder of the trip!

OVER-BOOST!!
    SVO's: Too Many!
    Good to hear you made it out of Clifton, Colorado and are enjoying the hospitality of friends in St George!

Cheers!

I got home at 3:30PM pacific time.

No more dramas.

Most all the trip was well below the posted speed limits and below or near 3k RPM in fifth. I drove like grandma most of the way and enjoyed the scenery.

When I got bored I started playing "coast in neutral" games in mountainous sections of the trip. In some areas I could coast for 6 or 7 miles at idle, and in a few spots I'd actually gain speed going downhill. The drive through I-70 and I-15 through Colorado and Utah is a breathtaking experience if you've never done that route. I'd highly recommend it if you ever get the chance.

All in all, this was a great adventure with only one minor setback. For this moment in time, I'm a proud (part) owner of a six pack of SVO's (unless I get to DMV before Eyelawdoc does, but posession is 9/10ths of the law and I have the pink slip, LOL!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails svohome.jpg  

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    I'm sure the neighbors are extatic

Home sweet home

Pat, It certainly was a pleasure meeting and chatting with you and glad to see you made it back without too much trouble. I agree on the drive thru Utah and Colorado. I purchased a 1965 Mustang GT K code Fastback in San Jose, flew out and drove it back to Mississippi thru that beautiful county....most people thought I was crazy. My answer, I'm too young to know better.

Bill Hatfield
    Last edited by sweetwm; 10-21-2004 at 08:31 PM.

SVO's: 84, 85.5, 86
    Sweet. How cool is that? I'm jealous, well, for multiple reasons.

Enough about my psychological issues, congrats on the successful trip back to (say it with me Ah-nuld style) Kal-ee-fornya.

I do dig the rare Ronal/Saleen wheels, those would be a keeper if it twas my car.

An SVO 6 pack, not to many can say that! Better hurry Eyelawdoc!

PS. So when do us So-Cal guys just give up and collectively buy our own warehouse to store all the SVO's & turbofords?
    -Mike Malone (svoca #416)
    84 9W / 85.5 9L / 86 2A

Originally posted by SVOeric
    I'm sure the neighbors are extatic
    You should see the Chinese fire drill on street sweeping days here!

Originally posted by sweetwm
    Pat, It certainly was a pleasure meeting and chatting with you and glad to see you made it back without too much trouble. I agree on the drive thru Utah and Colorado. I purchased a 1965 Mustang GT K code Fastback in San Jose, flew out and drove it back to Mississippi thru that beautiful county....most people thought I was crazy. My answer, I'm too young to know better.

Bill Hatfield
    It was a pleasure meeting you as well, and claiming that beer for remembering Superman's true identity.

Originally posted by AT6svo
    Sweet. How cool is that? I'm jealous, well, for multiple reasons.
    I do dig the rare Ronal/Saleen wheels, those would be a keeper if it twas my car.

An SVO 6 pack, not to many can say that! Better hurry Eyelawdoc!
    Mike, you really REALLY need to put time aside for the Reunion 2005. A plane ticket to Lexington could be had for ~$255 and you could split a $62 per night room with one of us. I'm gonna twist Eyelawdoc's arm to show up next year. I have your parts from US Marine, so we need an excuse to get together soon so they can be delivered. It was a pleasure and an honor to meet Tony and help him with some things last Wednesday. We need to help him find his very own "Holy Grail" SVO to replace the one he had.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails svoinnevada.jpg  

Eyelawdoc sees his new car

Eyelawdoc meets his new car for the first time today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails meetyournewcar.jpg  

Unloading the SVO Reunion time capsule.

Eyelawdoc had to listen to all my stories about each person who contributed to filling the hatch of the 9L with goodies to take home (He didn't complain at all).

I think that I have him convinced to take time off to go next year. When I suggested he make plans, the response was "But we'd need something to drive around while we're back there.". We have a year to work on that. Maybe Ken Potter, US Marine and GAboySVO can build us an SVO station wagon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails timecapsule.jpg  

Proposal for Pat

Proposal for Pat and Co.

Pat, as a little southern hospitality, I hereby make the following offer. If my longevity prevails, you and pal(s) fly into Memphis Airport and I or Mark will pick you up, bring you to Mississippi and bed you down for the night (have couple of spare bedrooms).

Then give you the keys to a SVO (probably 85.5 2R T-Top with 21,xxx miles), some gas money and you can take car and visit Alabama, Georgia or wherever. Then meet us at the reunion, race the car, and when reunion is over, deliver car back to Mississippi and will fetch you back to MEM for your return flight.

Bill Hatfield

PS. Might even whip-up a steak or two or at least find some Guinness on tap.

Bill, that is a most generous offer.

Thank you. I think that Eyelawdoc felt he missed out on the great cross country drive home. He wants to drive one back home here himself!

We'll see what transpires during the coming year as things lead up to Reunion 2005. I need to try getting a few other west coast guys out there as well. I'll work on them at the big Knott's Berry Farm show in April.