Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    12 PSI Boost
    "How loud are these cars with a stock downpipe and cat and no muffler? I'm considering replacing the muffler with a straight pipe or just running a straight pipe out the side. Any thoughts?"

about this comment/question, i owned an 84 gt turbo in high school and took the exhaust of and put staight pipe. i experienced multiple holes in pistons and valves, im not sure about why it happened i was young and reckless so it could have been anything but thats what i attribute it to. just giving some words of experience. maybe have had something to do with the back-pressure, maybe not. someone comment on that for my sake and dont make the same mistake, the car ran very well and fast for awhile after the exhaust hack though.

Just out of curiosity, silver84svo. Did you knock off the cat converter as well? Your post sugests it and I'm thinking this is probably why you did a little extra cooking. Another thing that comes to mind is too much boost. With only the turbo interupting the exhaust flow, Even one or two PSI on a non intercooled 2.3T would get things pretty hot.

I learned with the V6. Does it apply to our 4 as well? You have to choose one or the other... Remove the cat or the muffler. Not both?

I'm going to have a custom system built.

-3" down to the stock Cat (I'll have the flow checked of course)
    -Thee inch pipe back to a Magnaflow -Single inlet to Dual 2.5 outlets -
    -Side by side dual 2.5 pipe out to the back to keep the 84 stock look.

This should free it up enough and keep it both looking nice and leagal. I love the sound of Magnaflows on my 6, so I've got high hopes on how this will sound on the 4.

Z.
    Last edited by Xaranthu; 01-05-2003 at 06:33 AM.

I've got an 85 and I was looking to do something about the cat and the pre cat back set up. I looked around and by chance I found a direct fit system from the turbo up untill the after cat flange. www.car-sound.com is were I found it. It increased my power with its high flow cat and it's manderal bent tubing. I love it. Let me know what you think

No phone number and an email address that does not work. I'd say it's not looking up... On the other hand, it just may be a bad day for them. The web site is well designed and easy to get around, gives just enough info to be interesting, but not enough to be useful. I will try to email them again tomorrow. If you have a number for these guys, could you post it. They do look promising.

4 PSI Boost

Exhaust

Who can I get the MAC 3" exhaust from? How much is it?
    85 SVO 1B
    93 Twin Turbo Saleen
    88 Festiva B6T powered

SVO's: 84 1C
    the first page of this thread says to call paul at SVPU, he is a mac dealer.

Greg

SVO's: 86 2R
    Late post on this but Car-sound cats are now standard on all Bassani X pipes, which are considered to be the best as far as V8 performance goes for an X pipe and flow. I know it doesn't apply here but the reason I mention is that Bassani had huge complaints about their old cats they used. Seems like after 4-5k they broke apart(the guts of the cats) and rattled, thus know as the "death rattle" in the V8 market. I think carsound is a great choice and I'm very happy with increased performance and tone out of my car...even if it is a V8....

16 PSI Boost
    a couple of replys in this thread say the mac 3 inch exhaust isn't good for turbo cars why is this?
    86 2r built 1/22/86, sn-95 lca w/griggs adaptors, 5.0 tb,adj cam gear, sub frame connectors, new koni's, mark vii wheels, starion front mount ic FAST!!!!

SVO's: 1985.5 1B
    Originally posted by joenardo
    a couple of replys in this thread say the mac 3 inch exhaust isn't good for turbo cars why is this?
    Maybe they're referring to the muffler. Many people will promote the use of a straight through design mufffler vs. a baffled/chambered muffler. 99.9% of those promoting that performance tip have no factual proof WHICH muffler is the better design. Otherwise, there's no such claim that one brand name 3" exhaust pipe not being a good choice for turbo cars in particular.

You need to ask for fitment issues. Will it fit with no modifications? Does it bolt on or weld on? Any clearance issues on a lowered car? That kind of stuff.

SVO's: 85 2A Mild mods
    I have the MAC system on my SVO... basically the drivers side of the LX system. It also rubs either the frame or the gas tank. I think I can eliminate it by bending the flange around the gas tank though. You'll have to fab a pipe to go from the downpipe/cat to the muffler.
    For FAST service order it from www.online-racer.com.
    If it ain't broke... Give me some time!

16 PSI Boost
    thanks guys
    86 2r built 1/22/86, sn-95 lca w/griggs adaptors, 5.0 tb,adj cam gear, sub frame connectors, new koni's, mark vii wheels, starion front mount ic FAST!!!!

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    I have the 2.5 inch mac system on my 86, (duals) and I don't have any problems with rubbing or rattling.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

SVO's: 86CP 1C
    Just replaced my 2-1/4" DynoMax cat back duals ( no cat, 3" Sac downpipe I've had on car for years) with the 3" MAC drivers side. Yes, it is LOUD to this 45 year old compared to the 2-1/4" duals. Quieter at higher RPM so maybe I'll drive a gear lower! Rubs the frame so I have to tweak it some.

16 PSI Boost
    did you have to do anything to the pipe between the cat and the muffler or does the kit have this pipe also. thanks

SVO's: 86CP 1C
    I bought a 3" Stainless Steel flex pipe for $67.00 from JC Whitney part #SD471761A and it has two clamps and goes over the 3" tubes. I also got some heavy duty hangers from them. I don't want all the weight of the muffler and pipes to and from the turbo hanging from the turbo. The MAC ex has a flared end where the cat would be that I flattened out so the flex tube would go over it. I don't know if anyone makes a "Ball" end that will mate up to it. That's how they attach the tail pipe to the pipe that goes over the axel. I think they call it "True fit" It's basicly a "ball and socket" arangement . Hope this is helpful. MAC must be cheap because I didn't get ANY hardware with it.