Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Magnaflow

I guess I should post my results...

I did have the 3 inch custom Magnaflow installed on my 84, just never got a chance to update. It did not get much of a work out on that car, but it's on my 86 2R - The Phoenix - right now and I'm pretty happy with the performance. I'll be dynoing the car with that exhaust as soon as the rear end rebuild is finished.

3" DP
    3" Magnaflow Strait through cat
    3" Stainless to 3" Magnaflow Muffler
    2.5" Mac over the axle (SN95)
    Dumb snub dual tip.

It would sound 100% if not for the tip. A custom dual 2.5 inch is in the works.

Sound and video will be available on forced4 when we finally get to the dyno.

I'm kind of a Magnaflow fan because of the sound and performance I got out of the cat back kit on my V6. I have a dual 2.5 Magnaflow on my 2002 and it's deep , rumbly but quiet at idle and cruse, but a monster when you get on it. No highway drone at all. The car sounds like a mild V8 to people on the outside. Still not sure if I believe that, but I do feel it (thanks to the diablo restoring my torque). so I'll try to get some audio and video of that as well to satisfy my own curiosity.

Wade
    Last edited by Xaranthu; 04-06-2005 at 08:47 AM.

84 1E - Rusty Resto - Forced4 Project
    85.5 2R - MM&FF May 2006
    86 2R - Phoenix Project
    87 9L Turbo Coupe
    02 V6 Sonic Stalker
    06 Tungsten Grey Pony Package V6

SVO's: 86 Bi-Wing Delete

3"

I think if you have the money for a system find a shop that does custom work with mandrell bends and all ,and have a custom set up done with flowmasters. I know the store bought systems are pretty pricey.
    Just an opinion.
    86 9L TC I/C Leather Biwing Delete

OVER-BOOST!!
    SVO's: Too Many!
    Quote Originally Posted by FendleySVO
    I think if you have the money for a system find a shop that does custom work with mandrell bends and all ,and have a custom set up done with flowmasters. I know the store bought systems are pretty pricey.
    Just an opinion.
    3" system and mandrel bends are a good idea. Flowmasters are a poor muffler choice for turbo motors. 2.3 turbos do much better with straight through design like a Magnaflow.

SVO's: 86 Bi-Wing Delete
    Eyelawdoc, I've heard the same thing a couple of times and you are right about the straight through design.
    86 9L TC I/C Leather Biwing Delete

12 PSI Boost
    So now I know that nobody really makes an '84 SVO Turbo Exhaust Systems..
    What kind if exhaust system set-up am I looking for to mimic a 'Turbo Exhaust System' for my '84?

*edits for the stupid things i said before i did some research.
    Last edited by JpBimz; 01-05-2006 at 02:52 AM.

On my 85.5 I have a Sac. Mustangs 3" downpipe with flexjoint welded in connected to ATR's Stainless Steel exhaust system. I LOVE IT! It is as quite as you can get and there is almost no restriction at all. Okay... so I'm not running a cat, shhhhh!

Has anyone tried the Supertrapp mufflers? Just wondering, since everyone seems to think that a straight through design is the best for a turbo, and you can't get too much more straight through than that.

Ward

OVER-BOOST!!
    SVO's: Too Many!
    I have one on an 84 Mustang GT Turbo I was given. The bulbous Supertrap end is butt ugly and the outlet on that end appears very restrictive. The car has a rod knock, so I've never even boosted it. From the looks of it though, it would be my LAST choice for an exhaust system.

SVO's: 86 1E -340WHP@12psi
    Eyelawdoc,

What about this Magnaflow set up - I would add a cat and a y-pipe.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...merican&id=288

Listen to the sound bites - I know it's a V-8 sound but you can kind of tell how they are going to sound.

Is this the type of muffler that you are talking about? I still like the stock look tail pipe better than these. What is the closest to stock 2.5" tail pipes that can be had?
    Last edited by 8T6 SVO; 10-31-2006 at 09:22 PM.

SVO's: 86-1E 84-1E -SOLD
    one year to the day from last post in this thread. Oh well, I have put on a 3" mandrel bent down pipe with 6" flex pipe,3" intermediate pipe (no cat), 3" Y-pipe going down to two 21/2 pipes,Dynamax mufflers and 21/2 flowmaster polished tip tails. sure sounds better than the flowmasters.
    Growing OLD is mandatory,Growing UP is optional

SVO's: 1985 1/2 2A
    I’ve been using the complete ATR 3” from turbo to tailpipe for a while now and the performance is fantastic! ATR claimed that the complete system with CAT and their muffler would flow within 2% of an open exhaust and I believe them.

I spent over a grand for the system but I’m much smarter today. In the fit & clearance dept, ATR certainly missed the boat. ATR system hung too low, drug across every speed bump in town and getting in and out of my driveway was a slow, painfull process. There wasn’t any provision to support the system from the transmission crossover and I had my local muffler shop add 2 ˝” to the hoop that crosses over the rear differential so I wouldn’t crush the pipe between the chassis and diff every time I went over a bump.

In the reliability dept, the 100% stainless system is great. The wall thickness is much thinner than stock, much stronger than stock and although I never actually weighed it I am certain it weighs less than stock. I just wish that they had used a silicon bronze bushing (or something similar) for the waste gate flapper valve as it sticks every 60 to 90 days or so.

I consider this as only kit with most of the big pieces. There was enough supplied to install the system in my garage (with a few hangars from the local auto parts store) and carefully get it to my muffler guy to get it cut and welded to address the fit & clearance issues.

Perhaps if ATR had listened to the end-user and corrected the sticking waste gate flapper valve and the fit & clearance issues, this kit might still have been available today.

Other than that, I love the fantastic performance and mellow sound.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ATR 01.JPG   ATR 02.JPG   ATR 03.JPG  

SVO's: 86 2R
    I just a quick clip of my new exhaust set up. It consists of a Uncle Gator Ported E6, MerkurDepot DP, which includes a 3" elbow, Magnoflow Cat, custom Y-Pipe, and a Pypes Violator Catback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJCIB5SgY7k
    Ryan
    2006 F-250 CC PSD
    1986 2R SVO

SVO's: 1984 1C
    Does anyone have a Full Stinger performance exhaust. If so how was the install. I'm looking to go no cat and glasspack muffler.

SVO's: 86-1C & 86-1E
    IMHO glasspack mufflers do not sound good on these cars.

Holly Aerochambers or Magnaflow's
    you generally want to stay away from chambered style mufflers, they drone big time on turbo cars, mac's and flowmasters.
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

12 PSI Boost
    SVO's: 86 2A
    On my 86 SVO I just put a Stinger 3" downpipe and Y-pipe. Then on to 2 Magnaflow mufflers with 2.5" inlets & outlets that I got from another source. These Stinger parts and the Magnaflows are all stainless steel. The Stinger tailpipes are not stainless; they just have stainless tips. So, I got 2.5" stainless tailpipes for an 86 GT from American Muscle that were less expensive and all stainless. Slight fitment rubbing on gas tank on driver's side, but some adjustment seems to have worked that out.