Thread: fuel filter

jef855svo

fuel filter

When changing the fuel filter, do you have to relieve the pressure in the system, or is letting the car sit overnight good enough? How much fuel can I expect to leak out of the hoses once I disconnect the fuel lines? Thanks for the help.

SVO's: 1986 1c

Fuel Pressure

Yes You should bleed the system. The easiest is to hit the schrader valve at the rail. You will loose a cup or so of fuel when you open the system at the filter. I usually just unhook the lines and cover myself in gas. I however recommend having a fire extinguisher handy just incase. No sense having a BBQ.

good luck

OH yea get the rear tires off the car it just makes life so much more easier.
    Confucius says" a closed mouth gathers no foot"

OVER-BOOST!!
    SVO's: 86 1D
    I used to let it sit for about an hour, then take a small screwdriver, wrap a rag around it and depress the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Since I have a fuel pressure gauge now I just hook it up and press the pressure relief button on the gauge and let the gas drain into a container for the lawn mower.
    1986 1D - An oil return and rear end away from FINALLY being fully streetable again!
    2007 Mazda3 2.3L 5 Speed hatch

SVO's: 84 partial 2A
    Yeah, it's like NY Eric said: even with the system relieved you are still going to soak yourself. Wear some gloves or something because it drys out the hands pretty bad (preferably a kind that doesn't soak up the gas). It was PITA and I had the whole back end out.

SVO's: Several

Re: Fuel Pressure

Originally posted by NY eric
    I usually just unhook the lines and cover myself in gas.
    Confucius say:
    Buddhist mechanic who is soaked in gas is in danger of being fired.

SVO's: 1986 Silver
    I changed my filter last fall. After letting the car sit for 30 minutes, I crawled under and was prepaired for a blast of gas, but it didn't happen. I only lost a few ounces. It went much better than expected.
    Walt Mondschein
    1986 Silver SVO
    2005 Redfire GT

OVER-BOOST!!
    SVO's: Too Many!
    It all depends on how fast your system bleeds down. My suggestion is to discharge the line pressure at the Schraeder valve first.

You are still going to have a used fuel filter full of gas to deal with (about 1/2 cup or so) but it's better than being sprayed with the stuff under pressure when you disconnect the lines at the filter.

Originally posted by Eyelawdoc
    It all depends on how fast your system bleeds down. My suggestion is to discharge the line pressure at the Schraeder valve first.
    I agree. I may have lucked out. At the very least, be sure to release pressure at the shraeder before removing the filter.

I also had trouble fitting a Fram into the mount. The Fram was just a hair too big. I had to get a NAPA made by Wix. That fit just fine.
    Last edited by WaltM; 03-20-2005 at 04:45 PM.
    Walt Mondschein
    1986 Silver SVO
    2005 Redfire GT

banned
    Or, you can uplug the interia switch in the trunk, start the car and let it idle until it dies. This relieves the fuel pressure. As others have stated, you will still have the filter full of gas. Probably not more than a cup of gas. I usually place a drip pan and catch the gas from one end of the disconnected filter.

Chris

OVER-BOOST!!
    Hmmm.... I haven't had any trouble with the Fram filters fitting. Wix is a fine filter, though. I have used them as well.

Originally posted by Eyelawdoc
    Hmmm.... I haven't had any trouble with the Fram filters fitting.
    I didn't think I would either, but I had to stop in the middle of the install and run over to NAPA. I had the NAPA guy mesure the Fram and it was several thousands larger in diameter than the Wix. It may have worked if I would have tapped it into the bracket w/a hammer, but why chance it when the Wix slipped right in!
    Last edited by WaltM; 03-21-2005 at 05:13 AM.
    Walt Mondschein
    1986 Silver SVO
    2005 Redfire GT

OVER-BOOST!!
    I agree. Why risk screwing up your car for a few dollars.

Ever since Fram started outsourcing much of their filter manufacturing (China) I have had even greater qualms about their quality. Fram air filters from several years ago have many more folds in the element ( more surface area) than their later production units bearing the same part number.