Stock throttle body needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock throttle body needed

Our unit leaks at the spring. Need a stock replacement.

I had the same problem and was lucky enough to find someone on Turbo Ford who had a NOS one in the box. That was 3 years ago. I looked into having the body rebushed but no one was up to the job. Good luck!
    Bruce

Comment

Yep. We took it apart but couldn't really see any way to fix it. I found one on Ebay, but if anyone has a nice one on here, I might take it, too.

Comment

I have several throttle bodys if you need some extras. Kendal
        Kendal Coker

Comment

Originally posted by Kendal Coker View Post
          Thanks, Kendal. I have a couple on the way. If they don't work, I'll contact you.

Comment

Is this a pretty common problem? One of the units I ordered arrived earlier. We installed it and, sure enough, it leaks in the same place.

Comment

I am guessing you are seeing a leak between the throttle shaft and housing? I remember looking into a way to rebuild these many moons ago and seem to remember that the throttle shaft rides on the aluminum housing and not in a bushing. There is a small seal, like a valve stem seal, in the TB housing, but that can likely only do so much for holding back boost pressure, especially when the housing starts to wear and give some clearance. Maybe I need to get back to this project to see what could be done to refurbish these...
              Ted
              86 SVO Mustang
              17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Originally posted by svono50 View Post
                I am guessing you are seeing a leak between the throttle shaft and housing? I remember looking into a way to rebuild these many moons ago and seem to remember that the throttle shaft rides on the aluminum housing and not in a bushing. There is a small seal, like a valve stem seal, in the TB housing, but that can likely only do so much for holding back boost pressure, especially when the housing starts to wear and give some clearance. Maybe I need to get back to this project to see what could be done to refurbish these...
                Exactly. I did not see any seal when we removed the shaft other than the round/coiled spring in the housing. You might make some $ if you can figure out how to rebuild these.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendal Coker View Post
                  Perhaps I don't have enough posts to PM you. The three I have received are junk. I need a good one that doesn't leak. Email me what you want for one at canyonsvo at gmail dot com. Thanks.

Comment

ALL the stock ones leak a bit.. the question is -- is it leaking excessively. if you have 3 that are doing the same thing, it might be time to look elsewhere

Might be time to share the issues you are seeing instead of blaming throttle-body after throttle-body
                    these were made in the 80's they were never SEALED
                    Eric C
                    SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Originally posted by SVOeric View Post
                      ALL the stock ones leak a bit.. the question is -- is it leaking excessively. if you have 3 that are doing the same thing, it might be time to look elsewhere

Might be time to share the issues you are seeing instead of blaming throttle-body after throttle-body
                      these were made in the 80's they were never SEALED
                      One of the replacements I received leaked a lot. Like massive bubbles during the leak test. The other two were just junk out of the box. One had a bent shaft and the other was missing a chunk out of the side of it.

Comment

Based on the seals I remember looking at, they certainly wouldn't create a full leak-free seal to the shaft like a properly designed o-ring setup. Like I said, they were more like an axle seal, which don't hold back much pressure, even though they should work fine for holding vacuum. I think you need to find one that has the least amount of leak and go with that. I know I have evidence of leaking on my throttle shaft, but never anything that has caused me concern.

Have you tested for vacuum leaks on the shaft via carb cleaner/propane (front one, since the rear is covered by the TPS)?
                        Ted
                        86 SVO Mustang
                        17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Working...
                        X