Rebuildable 1986 steering rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuildable 1986 steering rack

While I'm waiting on a reply back from TurnOne on the status of my rack rebuild, I figured I'd at least ask if anyone has a rebuildable rack assembly they're willing to sell? There are a couple of parts on ours that are pitted beyond use, and while they're checking with another source, I figured I'd check here.

Failing that, anyone know if the rack shaft is the same between SVO-specific and non-SVO racks? Thanks!
    Gene Beaird,
    86 2R SVO, G Stock,
    Pearland, Texas

Gene - I'll check with my buddy and see if he has any racks. The steering shaft is the same. Mike
    PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

Comment

Originally posted by MIKESVO View Post
      Gene - I'll check with my buddy and see if he has any racks. The steering shaft is the same. Mike
      Thanks, Mike. Just to be certain, I'm not talking about the steering shaft that connects the steering column to the rack, but the rack shaft that lays inside the rack housing and moves left-to-right to move the tie rods. Thank you.
      Gene Beaird,
      86 2R SVO, G Stock,
      Pearland, Texas

Comment

Oh. That I do not know. He is checking, he has parts up in WI too. Might be a while.
        PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

Comment

Awesome. Thank you. I have plenty of other projects to keep me busy in the mean time. ;-)
          Gene Beaird,
          86 2R SVO, G Stock,
          Pearland, Texas

Comment

waiting to hear how this works out, cause I have a SVO rack that feels like a Lincoln town car
            Eric C
            SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Yeah, the AGR rack I installed was notably lighter-effort than OEM, even though it was their 'high-effort' rack. Of course, now it's leaking, and I suspect the reason it's leaking is because the rack shaft was polished down too far to properly seal. Kind of sucks, as I was hoping to be done enough to take the car back to my paint guy for the final body touch ups before applying the side molding.
              Gene Beaird,
              86 2R SVO, G Stock,
              Pearland, Texas

Comment

Working...
              X