86 SVO rack and pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 SVO rack and pinion

Need an 86 steering rack to steal the rack out of for rebuilding mine.
    Bruce

Still looking
    Bruce

Comment

They are HARD to find!! I feel your pain. I've been waiting for over a year for mine from Turn One. Once they get a run of racks to modify, they have the effort values to build the racks to.
      Gene Beaird,
      86 2R SVO, G Stock,
      Pearland, Texas

Comment

Wow I am glad I didn't send mine in then. I want to use my car in spring!
        Bruce

Comment

Is Turn One the only company that rebuilds steering racks? I did a search and they were the only ones that came up. I've used Lares for steering pumps but it doesn't look like they do racks.
          PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT / Illinois - Taxation w/o Representation!

Comment

I don't know but I can buy a new Lares rack for $150 less than a rebuild at Turnone. No core involved. Turnone is without anything except seal kit. Other worn parts are extra.
            Bruce

Comment

I've used Lares for pump rebuilds. Sent them correct, date coded pumps to get rebuilt. They do a great job and test each one before it is sent back.

Comment

I'm kind of 'once bit, twice shy' about this stuff, as the AGR unit started leaking in pretty short order. Looks like their 'quick-ratio' 10:1 is ~$400, so may take a chance. If nothing else, we can get the car back on all 4 so we can move it around a bit. Thanks. Never heard of Lares.
                Gene Beaird,
                86 2R SVO, G Stock,
                Pearland, Texas

Comment

Hope that works out for you Gene. You might want to check with them and see if they will rebuild the SVO rack. I have a 83 GT rack 15:1 that is for sale too.

Comment

Where did you see the $400 price? Rock auto is at $226 for the Lares (new w/no core) unit and they say it is 10-1 but they also say its 2 1/2 LTL. The same as our 15-1. The Lares rack would need TRW hoses as the fittings are not the same.
                    Bruce

Comment

I checked with Lares' tech dept, and they said the 'TRW hoses' requirement is a typo and they need to remove it. We now have one here, and will hopefully get time to install it soon. At least it may be able to be used as a core for Turn One if the effort/ratio is different than OEM.
                      Gene Beaird,
                      86 2R SVO, G Stock,
                      Pearland, Texas

Comment

When I talked to the Lares tech guy he told me where to source the TRW hose. Will be interested if its the same or not. Can you post a picture of the Lares rack?
                        Bruce

Comment

That'll have to wait a bit. We got the rack moved out to the shop, but are currently prepping for mid-teens lows for Christmas, and this part of the world really isn't configured for that sort of weather. Busy battoning down the hatches right now. Hopefully mid-week next week.

IIRC, I still have the old hoses we swapped out when we installed the AGR rack, so should be able to see if they work or not.
                          Gene Beaird,
                          86 2R SVO, G Stock,
                          Pearland, Texas

Comment

Working...
                          X