1987-88 ford thunderbird turbocoupe intercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987-88 ford thunderbird turbocoupe intercooler

Have this intercooler for sale. Has been out there on Ebay for $90 OBO. 1987-88 FORD THUNDERBIRD TURBOCOUPE INTERCOOLER.

Was planning to adapt this to use for my recirculation valve project but came up with a used SVO intercooler instead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220516_210613.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	214752

I had / have one as well, that came installed on my 85.5 when I bought it a few years ago. It seemed to be a popular change / improvement over the stock SVO i/c...?
    85.5 1E in the house.

Comment

Well, it does have about a 40% greater opening area compared with SVO.

Name:	TBird vs SVO IC.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	214766

So I'm going to surmise it can transfer more heat into the air passing through, and internally the core might also have less pressure drop. Those should both be pluses if utilized effectively. However, while it will bolt on, it does not line up with the hood opening completely. Seems like the T-Bird hood slopes forward more, so the IC is angled down more in front than the SVO, and the inlet is offset partially to the right of the SVO position. I did a mock up on my car to check and measure things. So the the easiest is just bolt it on (without the support bracket) and hope for the best, but probably not getting effect cooling air flow. Second is to fab some sheet aluminum ducting to bring air from the hood inlet. Last, and this was what I was intending, I figured how to get this mounted at the angle matching the SVO but it will need to change the angle of the inlet from the compressor by cutting and rewelding. I was going to make up a wooden fixture to get this right. The support bracket can also be modified to work.

This gives you idea when mocked up into position.

Name:	20220805_164900.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	214765

Main difference after this is that the IC opening flange sits about 1/2" closer to the hood. I was able to close my hood but not sure with engine roll it might not contact. I'm guessing the 87-88 T-Bird had a shorter upper intake manifold because I noticed the T-Bird valve cover has a relief cast in the cover to make clearance. Can anyone confirm this? I can ask this on the TurboCoupe forum, maybe post for the IC for sale there too?

Comment

Paying careful attention to the angle it sits at is important to keep it from hitting the hood. Our OEM hood had a nick in it from the TC IC because I had it canted sloping too much to the front when first fitting it. It also hit my strut bar, but that's not an issue unless you have the specific bar we have on our car. We updated the factory core on ours, so have since set the TC IC in the stack of spares.
        Gene Beaird,
        86 2R SVO, G Stock,
        Pearland, Texas

Comment

Thanks for the warning. Actually not planning to use this now as my dyno test didn't provide much gain.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeaird View Post
            Paying careful attention to the angle it sits at is important to keep it from hitting the hood. Our OEM hood had a nick in it from the TC IC because I had it canted sloping too much to the front when first fitting it. It also hit my strut bar, but that's not an issue unless you have the specific bar we have on our car. We updated the factory core on ours, so have since set the TC IC in the stack of spares.
            Are you the one who bought the Bell core and polished housing from me? I could never get that thing to seal.

Comment

Yes, I am. You can see it here:

https://www.svoca.com/forum/forum/me...n-on-86/page21

Post 302. I was concerned about that, too, but it seems to have sealed well. I haven't had it out to really test a pressure build, but it certainly holds well enough to allow the car to start and engine to idle perfectly.

Yes, probably not much of a gain, especially in stock trim, but a gain is a gain, and I figured the extra mass would help in an autocross setting where we put ice packs on the IC between runs. We did well auto crossing this car in F/GS classes, and I think the Bell core should be more efficient going forward, so we went back with the stock housing. It fits better, too, but we have a unique strut tower bar on our car.
              Gene Beaird,
              86 2R SVO, G Stock,
              Pearland, Texas

Comment

Working...
              X