Things to do BEFORE the Reunion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do BEFORE the Reunion...

There is always a list, isn't there?!? I feel pretty fortunate that my list is fairly short this year:
    • Replace master cylinder gasket
    • Flush brake fluid
    • Clean/wax wheels (no snickering!)
    • Adjust amount of filter packing in secondary oil separator

I certainly hope others have a similarly short list of 'non-critical' items.
    Ted
    86 SVO Mustang
    17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

very similar list... just a bit deeper...
    • install hydraboost booster and master cyl, and hoses.
    • remove MSD ignition CRAP
    • get a better tune installed --(or quit being a cheap ***, and buy a PIMP)
    • get a real battery.
    • normal cleaning / waxing, etc
    Eric C
    SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Well, got the bottom item done, now to jump on the top 3 on my list. All 3 will be completed in a single step.

One other item I didn't have on that original list was to get a new upper control arm bolt. Turns out the stock bolts work fine for the chassis side of the arms, but for some reason are too short for the axle side. I am running a UMI upper on the passenger side (PM3L setup) and the threads didn't protrude through the nut. Well, over time I noticed a 'clunk' in the rear when I either let off the gas or got back on it. This had been going on since last summer. Finally took more than a cursory glance back there and noticed the nut was AWOL...YIKES!! Somehow the bolt stayed in place, but allowed the upper arm to slack back and forth a bit. I tossed a backup nut on there and ordered up a new longer bolt/nut from McMaster. Installed it and my clunk sound is now gone! I should probably purchased a lottery ticket, as that nutless bolt stayed in place through the Reunion auto-x and a track day this past June...go figure, eh?
      Ted
      86 SVO Mustang
      17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Just got the engine back together and in the car after fixing an issue with the cam rocker geometry.

Installed serpentine belt system.

Break in the engine and verify tune is still accurate.

Clean and wax.

Maybe wire and install my new gauges.
        Mike S

'86 SVO 9L Leather
        '86 SVO 9L Road Warrior
        '96 300ZXTT

Comment

I need to verify my buddy,s trailer brakes and bearings. The car works the way it is but could work on the pimp tune for boost control (bleeder now). I also have a new from Rock Auto window regulator that could be installed PS. But don't need to do either to make the reunion. I already waxed one time this year so I have that covered LOL.
          Bruce

Comment

wish someone would buy this TWEECER I have, so I could purchase, and tune on my PIMP before I get there!
            Eric C
            SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Well, finished up my list above, plus a couple additional items! Now onto gathering up my 'Reunion travel kit' for hitting the road next week. Looking forward to the trip this year, being a new location and all.
              Ted
              86 SVO Mustang
              17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

my list is growing...

keep finding more things to fix
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170922_180658.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	182248
                Luckily I have the tool for this... hopefully I have the adapters.
                Eric C
                SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Now THAT is something that needs to be removed from the vehicle ASAP! It is scary on what some folks will cobble together, especially when dealing with high pressure fuel lines. Yikes!!
                  Ted
                  86 SVO Mustang
                  17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

yeah, can't believe I hadn't noticed that before...
                    Doing a good once-over on it before driving this far.. .it's only made a few trips to town up til now.

Also found a few other very nice issues
                    1- I can live with if I have to-- heater controls, and right side of the instrument cluster don't have any lights when the lights are on.
                    2 - I can't live with -- headlights are cutting out after being on for about 10 minutes (or less)
                    bad thing on #2 -- headlights have already been re-wired to run from a relays...
                    so it's going to take some work to chase down
                    3 -- interior light wasn't working-- found out why, no bulb.. put bulb in, and it stays on, with the doors shut.

center console, and wiring still not finished from radio install, and a ton of wiring that needs to be identified and 'connected / corrected'
                    I still have a lot of work to do

going to be a fun weekend with wiring diagrams...

Front and rear suspensions getting the once-over too.
                    Eric C
                    SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Hopefully only the electrical side of life was 'creative' and not the suspension. Good luck with the project, sounds like you have your hands full.
                      Ted
                      86 SVO Mustang
                      17 Cooper S Clubman ALL4

Comment

Kick the tires, check oil level, fill up gas tank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
                        Mickey
                        1986 9L
                        2007 BMW Z4 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by SVOeric View Post
                          my list is growing...

keep finding more things to fix
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]45708[/ATTACH]
                          Luckily I have the tool for this... hopefully I have the adapters.
                          Eric,
                          I have the Dorman fuel line repair kit and all the fittings if you can't come up with them.
                          Odd, when I took my avitar picture I owned the black SVO...now I own the blue SVO.

Comment

Thanks Dave, Think I have the one I need.
                            Guess the good news is, it's the return line that's been rigged. not the pressure line.
                            Eric C
                            SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

As the interior is mostly wrapped up now, started working on brakes... no amount of bleeding seems to help....

Pedal is rock hard, with or without the engine running, and hits rock bottom easily (which might be a rod adjustment issue). holding the pedal while starting the car, and the pedal does not move up or down.
                              I have been collecting parts to do a hyrdaboost conversion, but still missing several parts, and not sure I'll have time if I need to tinker with things... so off to get a new brake booster in the morning.

Knew I should have taken the full week before the reunion off...

Hopefully I don't find anything overly interesting under the car when she goes up on ramps tomorrow, after the brakes are working.
                              I do have a tiny bit of extra play in the steering I'd like to check out, and a slight rear-end noise in right hand turns, which I suspect is just exhaust rubbing, but I need to be sure...
                              Eric C
                              SVOCA Webmaster

Comment

Working...
                              X